During the four years of the anti-renewable-energy (by doing as much
as possible to downplay and ignore it, and misportray it when the
other two aren't possible) Bush Administration, one of the topics I
stupidly expected to hear from others, but never did, was about
"Victory Gardens".  I was stupid in this because frankly I knew very
well that four years of the Bush Administration meant, basically,
silence on anything having to do with renewable energy.  If you never
mention something then you can avoid a mistake, which is to get drawn
into defending a position you know very well is indefensible and in
some ways outrageous.  And by never mentioning renewable energy, one
can cast the impression, soto voce, underground, that people who do
mention it are wacos, lunies, etc.... that they *and their pet
technologies and practices and social concerns* can be marginalized.

And by never mentioning it, it doesn't come up that often, and you get
away with four to eight years of full-steam-ahead
make-it-more-impossible to kick the addiction of
oil-coal-nuclear-natgas.

Victory Gardens must be pretty far down the list even for
renewable-energy-discussers (discutants? I always think there should
be a word for 'discussion participant'), but maybe the lack of mention
of a topic during this Administration should be a clue to us that if
we think of it, let's get it out there a bit for discussion.

I don't know 1/100 of what I'm sure others know.  When I was a kid and
I asked why my Papa grew tomatoes in the back, I was told it was a
habit he'd picked up during WWII, when he was slightly too old to
serve but wanted to contribute in some way.  So, that was when I first
heard about Victory Gardens.

Some here, who may despise how the U.S. has chosen to define the War
On Terror, may call into question the naming of this thing, the
Victory Garden.  They may say that whether it's 9-11 or 9-10 or 9-12,
the rational for local food growing has nothing to do with a "Victory"
in a War on Terror.

Ok, whatever.  I mean: let me make clear that I disagree, but that
does not mean that we disagree as to the discussion of finding ways to
save energy.  One of the ideas that Keith and others have passed on to
me that I particularly like is the idea that one can save energy (and
money if prices for energy are reflected in products) simply by
sourcing one's food supply as close as possible to home.  This
includes, for some, growing one's own food.  For others it means
buying it at a restauraunt or grocery store that buys locally-grown
food. Ideally, grown in a progressive clean lower-energy way.

I happen to make some connection to the U.S. resolving its foreign
policy issues permanently and beneficially and such matters as
changing energy patterns at home, but even if one doesn't see that
connection, I think the idea of a "personal garden" or a Victory
Garden would get some traction in the U.S.  Of course, no Bush
Administration official would dare mention the idea.  They've already
permanently marginalized every sustainable technology and renewable
energy person and concept they could think of.  Which means they've
tried to distance themselves from some Americans who could have helped
them in their War, if they'd actually wanted to do everything
posssible to define it properly and then win it.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511