I am forwarding a link and a few excerpted paragraphs.  Those who wish
to have the full article (and I think it's a good one) should save the
full article to their hard drives before the NYT archives it out of
free access and into paid-archives.  A way to do that is to copy and
paste the full text to your email client, and mail the article to
yourself.  So far as I know, that's not a violation of copyright, at
the time of my writing, as you're doing it only for your own use.  If
I'm wrong, maybe someone can let me know.

Dixon did a much better job than I'll ever do with this topic.  For
one thing he does a fine job of boiling down some of the history of
the legalese into a pallatable accurate quick summary.

One good thing here, one potentially GREAT thing here, is that since
W. Korthoff is suing, this improves the ability of the press to keep
the matter in the news.  It makes for ongoing developments that have
some traction that can be covered.

Any journalists reading this NYT article and wishing to do followup
articles for their own publications may wish to contact him and get
the very latest on his lawsuit.  From his discussion group posts, his
email is:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

MM

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:59:24 -0800 (PST), Mike Kane
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>All,
>
>Yesterday's NY Times included a lengthy article on
>cancellation of EV Programs and crushing of vehicles.
>I've included both a link and the full text for anyone
>who doesn't want to sign up for NYT's online site.
>
>The Print article includes a photo of Bill Korthof
>with his Ranger EV, as well as the photos's included
>in the online aricle.
>
>Bill, et all, great job.
>

>http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/28/automobiles/28AUTO.html?pagewanted=1
>
>------------------------
>
>Carmakers Pull Plug on Electric Vehicles
>By CHRIS DIXON
>
>Published: March 28, 2004

[...]

>Parental neglect has, in fact, turned into
>infanticide. General Motors and Ford are taking back
>electric vehicles when the leases expire - not to
>resell them, but in many cases to crush them. The
>companies have refused to sell them to leaseholders,
>saying there are not enough on the road to justify the
>maintenance costs, and they want to avoid liability
>for any problems that might arise. They see electric
>cars as an interesting but failed experiment that
>taught valuable lessons for the future.
>
>But some drivers, upset at losing their cheap-running,
>zero-emission cars even as gasoline prices jump, are
>fighting back.
>
>One Ford lessee, William Korthof, has hired a Los
>Angeles civil rights lawyer, Nora Quinn, to press his
>case. She says she may file a class-action lawsuit
>against G.M. and Ford on behalf of lessees.
>
>"I am personally, morally offended by the idea that
>they would destroy these functional vehicles that have
>such a positive environmental impact," Ms. Quinn said.

[...]