From: "Kevin Shea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 9:17 PM
Subject: [biofuel] Methanol and Sodium Hydroxide efficiant mixing method

> Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to agitate the Lye powder
into the methanol?  I use a type 20 Lightning mixer (with small propeller
agitator), but have problems with the dissolving of Sodium Hydroxide

> I mix 3.75 liters of methanol to the appropriate amount of sodium
hydroxide in a 5 gallon carboy (with small hole drilled in cap) and let mix
for 15 minutes.  My problem is that the sodium hydroxide fails to dissolve
completely with the methanol.  I can see lots of clumped Lye!

> I hate this part of the process!!! and it is the most dangerous!!  I take
as much precaution as possible not to expose myself and wear proper safety
protection.  I'm not crazy about mixing for longer period with an electric
mixer or have something happen to cause a catastrophic event, so I'm trying
to minimize this danger window of this process

> Most likely I'll mix the next batch of Sodium Methoxide in a smaller
carboy (HDPE), and that should hopefully help.  Maybe the propeller shaft
should be a larger design??  Anyway, I'm interested in the most efficient
(Safe) methods and how long agitation should be?