>Thanks for the input.  I'm trying to build something out of resources
>I've been able to find easily.  I like the recirculation idea better
>than a paint stirrer for a couple of reasons.  One is that I can keep
>the barrel on its side and slightly tipped forward, allowing me to
>use gravity to empty rather than having to pump glycerine and then
>fuel at the end of processing.  That seems like it would always leave
>a little glycerine in the bottom of the barrel, which would then
>become part of my next batch.  The other is that there seems to be
>some suggestion on Journey to Forever that recirculation is a better
>mixing method than stirring.

It's about three times as effective for the same amount of power
used, but that doesn't tell you very much. There are too many other
factors involved for a general statement that one's better than the
other. Pumps are easier in some ways.

>I am thinking that I probably will take
>your suggestion regarding having an extra hole put into the barrel
>and using an immersion heater.  It just seems safer than the band
>type heater on the outside of the barrel.
>
>Again, thanks for your help.  I am planning to start doing test
>batches in the next week or two, once the H2SO4, Methanol and Lye I
>have on order are delivered.

Start here Brian:
"Where do I start?"
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#start

Leave the H2SO4 until you have more experience.

>I hope to be running 45 gallon batches
>within three months.  I'll be sticking around, and let people know
>how the progress goes.

You asked about this in your previous message. I don't think you'll
blow up the neighbourhood, but 45 gallons plus 9 gallons is pushing
it in a 55-gal reactor, IMO. You'd probably find 40 gallons easier.

Best

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511