Hi Kevin

>Hi Keith,
>My titration indicated that I needed 2 ml of the lye/water solution for a pH
>of 8-9
>
>15 liters of WVO
>82.5 grams Lye
>3.75 liters of Methanol

Right, not bad oil. Quite a lot of methanol, but no harm in that. 3.3
would do, but since not everything seems to be quite right yet you
might as well leave it at 3.75 for now.

>I mixed in a 5 gal poly car boy using a drum mixer 15 minutes before added
>the catalyst.

What's a drum mixer? (Sorry!) The catalyst = the pre-mixed lye and
methanol = sodium methoxide?

>Mixed for an hour.  I did not have a fish heater or any type
>of enclosed heater, so I used a better then nothing solution....I used a
>heating pad strapped to the side of the carboy, set the temp to the highest
>setting and wrapped a towel as insulation around the carboy during the
>mixing.  Temperature on the heating pad was 105 F.  Not sure of how hot the
>oil got inside, as the thermometer would not fit in the spout opening.

It's a bit low, if the oil was that temp, but probably not critically
so. You could try pre-heating the oil first, on a stove or something,
then put it in the carboy. Keeping it hot is much easier than making
it hot. 130F is a good mixing temp, but remember the temp will go
down when you add the methoxide so you could make the oil a bit
hotter first. Not too much hotter, methanol boils at just under 150F,
keep it well below that.

>Next day, I received three separation layers, Bottom: Glycerin, Middle:
>White wash: Top: Amber Biodiesel.  I assume the white layer to be water from
>the WVO I received from a pizza place in Norwalk Connecticut.  After
>draining, I ended up with approximately 12 liters.  (Note: I boiled the WVO
>before hand, using my old deep fryer from 212-260 F to try and remove as
>much water as possible.)

Any idea of the proportions of the three layers? I don't think it's
water. If you boiled it off first there shouldn't have been much
water anyway. (Heating to 130-140F for 15 minutes then settling might
be better than boiling.) You should have got better than 12 litres
from 2ml-titration oil though.

>I washed the finished 12 liters in another carboy where I used my gardening
>hose to spray or atomize the best I could appox. 7 liters water into the cap
>opening.  Once the container was sealed, a quick gentle shake and let the
>container sit for four days.
>
>Thanks, I did see the bubble wash link before and will try that method soon.
>
>I own a hydrometer, but it is not rated for thick liquids and did not bother
>to use it .

Try a couple of tests. Take a small amount of the biodiesel, say
250cc, and mix it with the same amount of water, in a PET bottle or
something. Just shake it up a bit, be gentle, not too violent, just
enough to get it to mix. Let it settle and separate. Then measure the
pH of the water. It should be about pH7. If it's higher than that
it's not washed enough. Also the water should be clear, not milky, or
again, it's not washed enough.

2nd test: the same, 250cc or so of biodiesel and the same amount of
water, but shake it up and down violently for about 10 seconds or
more. Then let it settle, and see how long it takes to separate. It
should separate cleanly in less than half an hour, with little or no
white layer between. If not, your processing didn't go far enough.

Considering the white wash, it might be an idea to double-check the
titration, and maybe do a series of small test batches with the same
oil, varying the amount of lye each time by 0.5 gm/litre. See:
Test batches
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_mike.html#testbatch
Stock methoxide solution
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#stockmeth

Anyway, Kevin, quibbles aside, you're doing well! It separated, it's
biodiesel, and you made it! You're not shy about improvising and
using what you've got to hand, which is the spirit of it, IMHO. Keep
going, and look forward to the great feeling of running your motor on
your own fuel.

Best

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511