Julian,

Yours is a very broad parameter.

Perhaps what would serve best to start is to establish "What it is that can
best be achieved with each scale and are those achievements in line with
sound economics?"

Bio-regional (presuming that you mean approximately that by "small scale")
reduces the consumption of transport fuels, reduces the degree of mechanical
transportation infrastructure, keeps jobs local, keeps monies local, keeps
the consumption of the finished fuel local, which in turn benefits the
environment of the immediate locality.

A volume as low as 500 gpd is economically sound to produce in a commercial
setting when using WVO. SVO is a slightly but not entirely different kettle
of fish, as the oilseed has to be pressed first, which requires more
infrastructure.

Centralized production runs almost entirely opposite of bio-regional. It
gives cause to greater consumption of transport fuels, increases the amount
of mechanical transportation infrastructure required, prevents the
development of local jobs, exports monies from local economies and requires
the importation of the finished fuel (erego more transportation fuel
consumed and higher cost to consumers, making it even less competitive with
fossil diesel).

Batch production is primarily found in present day centralized and
micro-bioregional facilities. Ocassionally continuous stream systems are
found, but they generally require a labor pool of higher pay scale,
inclusive of licensed engineers and technicians certified to work with high
pressure equipment.

Simply put, there are considerable benefits in accessing micro-production
rather than centralized. Whether or not it meets the margin demands of
corporate "Americana" is not really the point, not if it can first meet the
needs of rural and even suburban "Americana."

Todd Swearingen