http://www.rachel.org/bulletin/index.cfm?issue_ID=2431

#789 -- Answering Critiques of Precaution, Part 1, April 15, 2004

The precautionary principle is a new way of making decisions about
environment and health. The purpose of the precautionary approach is
to make decisions today that we will not regret in 50 years. As the
precautionary approach becomes better known, it is being studied and
criticized, which is normal for new ideas. Here we present common
criticisms of the precautionary approach, and then offer some

Before proceeding, we should distinguish the precautionary approach
from the old way of making decisions. (I call it the "old way"
because is being replaced by the newer precautionary approach in many
parts of the world -- but in most parts of the U.S. the "old way" is
still being used.)

The old way of making decisions assumed that we could do a "risk
assessment" on any activity (such as adding the chemical MTBE to
gasoline, or burying radioactive waste in the ground, or cutting new
logging roads into a forest). The risk assessment would tell us the
likelihood and amount of harm from the activity, and we would then
enforce limits on the activity to prevent the harm from growing
beyond "acceptable" levels. In the case of harms that are rare or
unknown, the old way assumes that we will learn about these hidden
dangers in ways that may be unpleasant and traumatic but which will
not be unacceptably costly or painful.

The old way assumed that people and corporations have the right to do
anything they choose (so long as it is legal) until some third party
can prove that harm has occurred, at which point a lengthy process of
dispute resolution can begin, often requiring decades of effort and
millions of dollars. This system requires that harm must occur and
must be proven to occur before alternative actions will be
considered. The great harms from leaded paint, from leaded gasoline
and from asbestos come to mind.

In sum, the old way asked the question, "How much harm is acceptable"
or "How much harm can we get away with?" and then tried to limit
activities to keep the harm within those boundaries. And the burden
of proof of harm was placed on those being harmed -- it was up to
them to prove they were being harmed before alternative actions would
be considered.

The precautionary principle is a different way of making decisions --
one focused more on preventing harm.

In one form or another, the precautionary principle has been widely
adopted in international treaties and agreements[1], and it has even
been formally adopted by the U.S. government, which signed the Rio
Declaration on Environment and Development in 1992.[2]
(Unfortunately, the U.S. has not yet acted on that commitment.)

Criticism #1: There are many ways of stating the precautionary
principle, so it is meaningless.

Response #1:

In all formulations of the precautionary principle, we find three
common elements:

1) If we have reasonable suspicion of harm

2) accompanied by scientific uncertainty, then

3) we all have a duty to take action to prevent harm.

The precautionary principle does not tell us what kinds of action to
take. It does not tell us to ban anything or stop anything or
regulate anything. However, it assumes that our aim is to prevent
harm, and a consensus is developing that several kinds of action may
be helpful[3]:

** set goals;

** examine all reasonable alternatives for achieving those goals with
the expectation that the least-harmful approach will be preferred;

** shift the burden of proof to the proponents of new activities or
technologies -- they bear the burden of producing information about
the expected consequences of their proposed activities, monitoring
and reporting as the activity unfolds, agreeing to pay for any harm
that ensues, and taking responsibility for remediation as needed; and

** those who will be affected by the decision should help make the decision.

Therefore the precautionary principle is sufficiently well-defined
for people to use it in the real world.

Criticism #2: Precaution is not needed. The current regulatory system
is working well and there is no need to change it.

Response #2. There are many well-documented cases in which the "old
way" has handed us a legacy of very expensive problems that we are
now paying for (and struggling to solve), including: depleted
fisheries; harm from radioactivity; exposures to benzene, asbestos,
and PCBs [polychlorinated biphenyls]; damage to the Earth's ozone
shield; exposure to the artificial hormone, diethylstilbestrol (DES);
the excessive use of antimicrobials and growth promoters; lead in
gasoline, and MTBE as a substitute for lead in gasoline; tributyl tin
as an anti-fouling paint on ships and boats; chemical contamination
of the Great Lakes; and more. This list could be readily extended --
contamination and depletion of salmon, low levels of many exotic
chemicals in typical drinking water supplies; loss of species at 100
to 1000 times historical rates of extinction; water shortages in many
parts of the globe including the American west; increasing
occurrences of asthma, diabetes, nervous system disorders, childhood
cancers, and so on.[4]

Criticism #3: The precautionary approach aims to achieve zero risk,
which is impossible.

Response #3: Advocates of the precautionary principle understand that
modern technologies will always entail risks, and that zero risk is
not achievable. The goal of precaution is less risk, not zero risk.

However, the precautionary approach responds in a new way to risks.
As we saw above, the "old way" asks "How much harm is acceptable?"
The precautionary approach asks, "How much harm is avoidable?"

The precautionary principle is needed when something that we value
greatly is threatened and requires preventive and protective action,
to avoid threats to it, or to prevent threats from materializing into
harm.[5]

The precautionary principle is especially needed to avoid harms that
could become widespread, serious, or irreversible. Precaution also
favors avoiding any harms that are easily avoidable. In sum, "Better
safe than sorry" and "A stitch in time saves nine."

Criticism #4: The precautionary principle is anti-science.

Response #4: The precautionary principle embraces and uses all
available science. There is nothing anti-science about it.

A key distinction between the "old way" and precaution is their
different responses to scientific uncertainty. The old way takes
scientific uncertainty as a green light -- until science can prove
harm, press ahead.

The precautionary principle takes scientific uncertainty as a yellow
light or even in some cases a red light. The precautionary principle
assumes that scientific uncertainty is itself a reason to be
concerned. When scientific uncertainty is combined with reasonable
suspicion of harm, then precautionary action is warranted.

When we see smoke billowing out of a building, do we passively study
the situation until we are 100% sure of the cause of the smoke, or do
we call the fire department (preventive action) while we
simultaneously try to learn more?

Some critics seem to feel that the precautionary approach is
anti-science simply because it pays attention to scientific
uncertainty. But science always makes a careful distinction between
what is known and what is not known -- so paying attention to
uncertainty is a normal part of science. As citizens, paying
attention to uncertainty is only common sense -- if we're not sure
what we're doing, we should proceed cautiously.

Criticism #5: The precautionary principle will stop progress. If we
had used precaution as our guide in 1890, we'd never have developed
the automobile.

Response #5: In 1890, people needed better means of transportation to
replace the horse. If a precautionary approach had been taken in
1890-1900, the alternatives available at that time would have been
considered (trains, omnibuses, electric trolleys, cable cars, plus
electric automobiles, steam-powered automobiles, and automobiles
using the gasoline-powered internal-combustion engine).
Unfortunately, a small number of people dominated the decisions in
1900 and they chose to develop the gasoline-powered internal
combustion engine, and later to buy up and dismantle competing
trolley and train lines. Today, we are all struggling with the
consequences of those decisions (global warming, cities clogged with
highways and cars, the deaths of 60,000 people per year from air
pollution and another 40,000 killed in accidents, and so on). People
needed new forms of transportation in 1900 but the decisions made at
that time did not follow a precautionary approach, and they turned
out badly. A precautionary approach would at least have forced an
open consideration of the risks and benefits of each alternative, and
would have given preference to the least harmful. Such a process
would not have left us all riding horses, but it might very well have
produced a different transportation system than the one we are
struggling to replace today because it has proven to be so expensive
and so harmful.

Criticism #6: Precaution will stifle innovation and destroy jobs.
(This is similar to Criticism #5.)

Response #6: On the contrary, the precautionary principle is already
stimulating technical innovation, as we search for new ways to
fulfill our needs while minimizing harm to the environment and human
health. Much modern technology is incompatible with living things,
and it needs to be replaced by newer technologies based on principles
learned from nature. Precaution creates incentives for "green
chemistry," "green engineering," and "green design." We need
transportation -- but the best answer probably isn't gas-guzzling
cars. We need energy -- but probably the best answer isn't burning
more coal or creating more unmanageable radioactive wastes in nuclear
power plants. We need food -- but farms heavily dependent on
synthetic fertilizers, chemical pesticides, and genetically
engineered crops may not be the best answer because they are so
costly.

Human needs have not changed, and they will be fulfilled one way or
another. The question is, will we harm the planet and diminish our
children's future as we fulfill our needs, or can we find ways to
live in harmony with nature? In developing advanced technologies that
are compatible with nature, entrepreneurs will find (and create)
wonderful opportunities for themselves and others. Transportation,
manufacturing, agriculture and energy systems all need to be
re-invented, based on cooperating with nature rather than subduing
it. The opportunities for job creation are obviously substantial.[6]
[To be continued.] --Peter Montague

============

[1] The language of precaution has now been adopted in many
international treaties and conventions, such as the North Sea
Declaration (1987), The Ozone Layer Protocol (1987), the Ministerial
Declaration of the 2nd World Climate Conference (1990), the
Maastricht Treaty that created the European Union (1994), The United
Nations Law of the Sea (2001), and the Cartagena Protocol on
Biosafety (2000), among others.

[2] Rio Declaration on Environment and Development (1992); Principle
15 of the Declaration says, "In order to protect the environment, the
precautionary approach shall be widely applied by States [nations]
according to their capabilities. Where there are threats of serious
or irreversible damage, lack of full scientific certainty shall not
be used as a reason for postponing cost-effective measures to prevent
environmental degradation." Cost-effective means lowest-cost.
Available at http://www.rachel.org/library/getfile.cfm?ID=377

[3] Carolyn Raffensperger and Joel Tickner, eds. Protecting Public
Health and the Environment; Implementing the Precautionary Principle.
Washington, D.C.: Island Press, 1999.

[4] Poul Harremoes and others, Late lessons from early warnings: the
precautionary principle 1896-2000 [Environmental Issue Report No. 22]
(Copenhagen, Denmark: European Environment Agency, 2001). Available
at (3-megabyte file): http://www.rachel.org/library/getfile.cfm?ID=301

[5] Carl Cranor, "Some Legal Implications of the Precautionary
principle: improving information-generation and legal protections,"
European Journal of Oncology (2003; Supplement 2), pgs. 31-51.
http://www.rachel.org/library/getfile.cfm?ID=373

[6] Frank Ackerman and Rachel Massey, Prospering with Precaution;
Employment, Economics, and the Precautionary Principle (Medford,
Mass.: Global Development and Environment Institute, Tufts
University, 2002). Available at
http://www.rachel.org/library/getfile.cfm?ID=218

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511