Yes, filtering is a big topic.

You can't really filter the raw oil, unless you heat it.

Initial process needs no real filtering at all, just straining. Use a
cleanable 200 to 400 mesh screen, and that will be enough for a good reaction.

The separation after the reaction removes most of the particulate matter in
the glycerine layer, and the biodiesel layer will be water clear.

After that, a final filtering is required, whether or not you do washing.

Many manufacturers of older engines, tractor engines, and others, require
only to 10 micron fuel. New engines have higher pressure injectors, and require
higher filtering.

I recommend the pleated polyester filters, 9-1/2" long, that fit in standard
water filter housings.

These filters can be washed and resused several times.

A good separation reduces the filter requirements. And, watch out for a batch
of glop that will foul the filters real fast.

Good luck!

Tom Leue

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511