Keith,

My data was the 1998 report by Prof. David Pimentel which has been lamblasted
by the renewable energy folks.  I think it is more of the correct story than
saying that, using selected data, the ENERGY BALANCE tips in the favor of
ethanol.  If the tractor is used in the production of the raw materials, its'
cost must be included in the equation.  Life is not so simple as to say -"Here
is corn, now make ethanol and only count the conversion energy".  Life cycle
cost analysis is being touted as a more correct view of cheap Chinese plastic
parts inundating the American markets.  Whatever became of the metal parts you
could repair instead of the plastic ones that break easily and must be thrown
away.

I have included a piece from your web page, JOURNEY TO FOREVER, on the Pimentel
report which I do not agree with.

"Corn-Based Ethanol Does Indeed Achieve Energy Benefits" -- "Prof. David
Pimentel's 1998 assessment of corn ethanol concluded that corn ethanol achieved
a negative energy balance (which is usually defined as the energy in a product
minus energy used to produce the product). Unfortunately, his assessment lacked
timeliness in that it relied on data appropriate to conditions of the 1970s and
early 1980s, but clearly not the 1990s... With up-to-date information on corn
farming and ethanol production and treating ethanol co-products fairly, we have
concluded that corn-based ethanol now has a positive energy balance of about
20,000 Btu per gallon."

Art