Someone suggested that people use different vehicles for different
tasks.  Sure.  I don't drive the beater pickup truck every day but it
sure is nice to have when I want to get mulch for the garden or need
to get to work in 6" of snow.  Small bits fall off if I slam the door
too hard, but it gets the job done.  8^)

I think it was the original article for this thread that talked about
the safety aspects of SUVs.  You can't get around the additional
weight or height of large vehicles, SUV or not.  That's physics.  The
performance info got me looking.  Car and Driver magazine publishes
tables of their road test results.  Yes, the sports cars do out
accelerate/corner/brake the trucks.  I did find it interesting that
the braking distances for things like the Ford Expedition and other
similar sized vehicles were shorter than for many import sedans of
small size, as well as very small cars like the Ford Focus.  I don't
have the magazine in front of me now, but let me know if you want me
to start typing in the data.

Mostly, the point of the article seemed to be that people do dumb
things because they have a false sense of security.  That sounds like
the fault of the driver and would happen in any vehicle.  A vehicle
is a tool, and tools aren't good or bad - that's supplied by the
people who use (misuse) them.  My favorite part was the "danger" of
additional grip in bad weather.  By that logic we shouldn't allow
snow tires!

I still think much of the problem is that the driver license
procedure is such a joke in the U.S.  When I took my test we never
even drove on a road at all!

If you look at the smaller SUV type vehicles, the ones that don't
share chassis with trucks, there is no matching vehicle in the "car"
fleet that offers the features and price point.  Until that changes,
people will drive SUVs.  I don't recall hearing anything like this
when minivans were the hot vehicle in the U.S.  Other than ride
height I don't see much difference between minivans and many of the
new SUVs

Oh yeah, as to another point in the article, I don't have any
cupholders in the truck or in the car I drive instead.  Should I feel
afraid?  ;^)

Ed

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511