JG,

Guru? No. Serious about it? Yes.

The volume of glycerin cocktail that settled out should give you an idea of
where the problem might lay.

Presuming you used a ratio of 5:1 oil/alcohol, you should have had
approximately 5 gallons of glycerin cocktail. It sounds as if your reaction
didn't go to completion.

Your description of "milk" also sounds like an indicater that your reaction
didn't go to completion, leaving you with mono- and di-glyceride
emulsifiers. The pertinent question is how thick of an emulsion layer did
you get? Upon washing, there should be nothing more than perhaps a 1/8"
emulsified layer between the water and fuel phases.

Presuming that your wash/fuel separates at all, pull off a liter from the
top and retreat it as if it were the first time you had seen it. Make sure
to dry it first. See if anymore glycerin drops. It's a safe bet that some
will.

If so, you'll need to separate what you can on your larger batch. Time is
one method, albeit excruciatingly slow. You could use regular table salt
mixed with water to salt out a bit more. A small amount of phosphoric or
sulfuric acid may de-emulsify a bit more. You could also try to break the
emulsion with heat. BUT PLEASE BE AWARE that using heat to break emulsions
can create a dangerous situation called "explosive bumping." If your
emulsion doesn't break, or even if it doesn't break entirely within the
realm of 120* - 150*F, discontinue applying heat and seek another method.
Otherwise you take the risk of having the emulsion and fuel splattered all
over the ceiling, if not scalding anyone within an eight foot radius.

Whatever you do..., conduct these tests in small volumes first.

One other note, no matter the outcome with this batch. It is a very useful
precaution to always conduct a sample washing of your fuel before you submit
the entire batch to the wash process, just to insure that the reaction
completed. This is as simple as taking 1-2 fluid ounces of fuel and an equal
amount of water, adding them into a sealable jar and shaking the bejeebers
out of them. If your reaction has gone to completion you should see a
separation within quite literally seconds.

Please repost whatever results you come up with.

Todd Swearingen