If Mercedes can import a diesel Smart,

and VW can import a diesel Jetta, Golf, Passat, and Touareg, (sp?)...
then you can make a Lupo work, I'd think.
Just take off the catalytic converter....for now, until the fuel gets
better here.

  I think it has more to do with the VW "no longer the people's car"
mentality - they want to be known here as luxury or something - good
quality is not good enough for them any more.

(I guess selling replacement molded coolant hoses, the ones you can't
get from anyone else, at prices that ought to make them ashamed of
themselves, to people who just want their great older VW's to be
reliable, was not yet enough profit for them..they have to sell only
the expensive of the newer models here, on top of it!!)