Hi MM,

There are at least a couple of levels to this in Europe. One level is of
smaller cars. I believe the VW Lupo and the Polo fit here. They are both
smaller than a Golf/Jetta-Bora/New Beetle, but easily reach highway speeds.
They can go long distances, albeit one would want to stop and stretch
frequently. Then, recently I have been seeing more of the three and four wheel
vehicles which are totally enclosed against the weather and are classed as
motorcycles. Their classification depends upon the maximum engine displacement,
which I believe is 50 cc. They don't reach highway speeds and are frequently
seen tooling along the shoulder of the road being passed by the larger
vehicles. They are great for city use as they go fast enough for city traffic,
are much much easier to park, and are relatively inexpensive.

I can still remember something of a 'duh moment' a bit after I first went to
Europe and I first realixed that the VW Beetle that I considered to be a small
car, was a large car by the European standards of the time. Still today, one
sees plenty of the smaller VW Polos and similar sized cars. Clearly there are
larger vehicles, which are basically the same as the imported European cars
seen in the US market, but the percentage has to be fairly low. The vast
majority of the vehicles would appear to be VW Golf sized.

Part of this is the different transportation model seen in Europe when I first
went there. Cars were mostly used for transportation locally, and often only
when the city bus wasn't available or convenient. Many people didn't have a
car. Any travel between cities was by bus or train. I think Europe has moved
slightly away from this model as cars have become more popular, more divided
highways have been built, and long distance car travel has become more accepted.

Derek