Here are the details of the two Biodiesel workshops in Tucson this month:

May 22- Homebrew Biodiesel Comprehensive Workshop, 10-5

     Wear closed toe shoes and long pants, bring safety glasses if you have
them, and be prepared for being in a no-air-conditioning building most of
the day (the bad news). bring something to take notes with. I'll have lab
coats for when you do hands-on 'lab' work.  Also, we will take an hour
lunch- please bring your brown bag lunch and some snacks/refreshments to
share if you can. The food co-op and restaurants are also nearby. Bring
your drinking water!

The class will cover both lab-scale and full-size, hands-on biodiesel
experiments, and we will demonstrate making a full-size batch of homebrew
biodiesel. We will cover quality control and quality testing, bubblewashing
and mistwashing, acid-base two-stage biodiesel, ethanol biodiesel, and much
more. there will be a short equipment discussion although the optional
equipment class on the second day will go into much more of this in detail.
I recommend reading the www.journeytoforever.org and
www.me.iastate.edu/biodiesel online biodiesel course first. We won't be
covering straight vegetable oil conversions but I can answer some questions
about that topic at lunch.

May 23, Biodiesel Homebrew Equipment Building Workshop, 10-5

Come help build a simple water heater-based biodiesel reactor and a
barrel-based wash tank. This is a simple, no-welding design but we will
also discuss metalworking skills and how to work with other types of tanks
you might find. We will build one or two full systems and will go into
detail about pumps, methanol recovery, wiring and heating, basic plumbing,
some metalworking info, and other useful information for building your own
small or large biodiesel system. Some of the equipment we are building is
seen at www.veggieavenger.com/media . Please keep checking that link as I
will update it shortly with more of the design we're building.

If you are interested in building your own system at the workshop, please
contact me with your phone number before May 18 at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] to discuss parts and materials (parts cost is
$180 plus a water heater ($200) for the full system approximately, also I
would need to find closed-head barrels for the wash tanks which shouldn't
cost much at the scrapyard. Let me know if anyone has leads on where to
find these for free in town).

  You do not have to attend the previous day's class, or have biodiesel
experience to come to the equipment building workshop. I recommend first
reading www.journeytoforever.org , the www.me.iastate.edu/biodiesel
'course' , and www.veggieavenger.com/media

******************************
Registration details:
     Each class is $20-$50 sliding scale, with no one turned away for lack
of funds.  I also have for sale a 100-page guide to making homebrew
biodiesel, which is an additional $8.

      Drop me an email if you think you are coming- but there is no 'firm'
preregistration required.
If you would like to, you can prepay by sending me the class fee through
PayPal (which will make my trip down here easier)- my paypal account is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] . Otherwise, you can just pay what you wish at
the workshop.

************************************
Directions:

  The location is 197 E. Toole ave in downtown Tucson. The cross street is
6th Ave. Most of the class will be conducted indoors but it is not an air
conditioned building- again, bring plenty of drinking water! If you get
lost, the phone number of Dave Lewis at Toole Ave Studios is 520 622 3735 .
for any info on the workshop itself please contact me by email
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Here's the yahoo maps link:
http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?ed=4yd1GeV.wimSIxJtE.d5HybOY9aGmj2rPI7EvLQKSfCAkQ--&csz=Nogales%2C+arizona&country=us&tcsz=Tucson%2C+AZ+85701-1210&tcountry=us&oerr=3005

Directions according to Yahoo Maps:

 From the West on I-10:
4.      Take the ST MARYS RD exit, exit #257A - go 0.2 mi
5.      Continue on N FREEWAY - go 0.1 mi
6.      Turn  on W ST MARYS RD - go 0.4 mi
7.      Continue on W 6TH ST - go 0.3 mi
8.      Turn  on N STONE AVE - go 0.1 mi
9.      Turn  on E TOOLE AVE - go 0.2 mi
10.     Arrive at 197 E TOOLE AVE, TUCSON

 From I-19/ from the east on I-10 (please check this with a roadmap as I
might be missing something here)

exit #101B - go 2.0 mi
12.     Take the CONGRESS ST exit towards BROADWAY, exit #258 - go 0.2 mi
13.     Continue on S FREEWAY - go 0.1 mi
14.     Turn  on W CONGRESS ST - go 0.3 mi
15.     Turn  on W PENNINGTON ST - go 0.3 mi
16.     Continue on E PENNINGTON ST - go 0.2 mi
17.     Turn  on N 6TH AVE - go 0.1 mi
18.     Turn  on E TOOLE AVE - go < 0.1 mi
19.     Arrive at 197 E TOOLE AVE, TUCSON

************************************
shameless sales pitch:

I'm trying to afford to do more of these classes outside of California this
summer, which of course puts me out of work at my regular job (though I
admit it's much more fun than the construction work I do.)

I'm doing some fundraising by making simple biodiesel reactors for people
(I also publish the plans free on veggieavenger.com so you can build your
own of course).

If anyone who is 'along the way ' of my trip through the Southwest (between
San Francisco and Albuquerque) is interested in building a biodiesel
reactor but can't make it to the workshop to build their own, I am willing
to build you one for the cost of the tank and parts, plus $200 for my time,
in order to help pay for my biodiesel class tour of the Midwest later on
this summer. The total cost should be about $550 for the reactor (subtract
$200 if you have a free old electric water heater already), with a wash
tank and wash gear adding about $30 to this in parts. these simple designs
are seen at www.veggieavenger.com/media .  Contact me directly for this
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[end shameless sales pitch]