Senate package carries wind aid

By Gerry Gilmour

The Forum - 05/13/2004

Wind energy development incentives rode the coattails of a $170 billion
corporate tax bill approved 92-5 Tuesday by the U.S. Senate.

Production tax credits ö deemed vital by industry experts for more wind farm
development in North Dakota ö were among $14 billion in new tax breaks for
energy included in the bill.

"We're pretty excited," Randall Swisher, executive director of the American
Wind Energy Association in Washington, said Wednesday. "We're excited to see
progress of any kind."

The industry has come to a near standstill as it awaits renewal of federal tax
credits, which expired Dec. 31. DMI Industries of West Fargo, which makes wind
towers, and LM Glasfiber of Grand Forks, N.D., which makes turbine blades, rely
on orders from Canadian developers to stay in business.

AWEA announced Wednesday that it is forecasting "little to no growth" in
installed wind generating capacity this year, compared with a near-record 1,687
megawatts installed in 2003, or enough electricity to power 500,000 homes.

In North Dakota, 2003 brought the state's first major wind farm development,
61.5 megawatts of capacity generated by 41 turbines spinning between Kulm and
Edgeley.

Those turbines were erected by FPL Energy of Juno, Fla., which sells
electricity from the turbines to Otter Tail Power Co. of Fergus Falls, Minn.,
and Basin Electric Power Cooperative of Bismarck.

Steve Stengel of FPL Energy said the company has projects it will proceed with
pending approval of the tax credits. He said he couldn't identify where those
would be located.

"Without the tax credits, those projects won't go forward," Stengel said. "But
suffice it to say, we've got a good pipeline of projects ready."

Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., is one of several wind energy state lawmakers who
pushed for renewable energy incentives in the bill.

"We've been searching for some way to get this done," Dorgan said Wednesday.
The production tax credit package included in the Senate bill runs for three
years.

"This should kick start some projects that have been on the shelf and give an
economic boost to North Dakota," Dorgan said.

The wind tax credits and other energy incentives were carried over from the
energy bill that stalled in Congress last year, and written into the jobs bill
as amendments.

Senators late Tuesday, voting 85-13, shot down an attempt by Sen. John McCain,
R-Ariz., to strip energy provisions from the bill.

The Senate bill needs a House companion bill, and President Bush's signature,
before it becomes law.

"Our expectation is that the attention will now be turned to the House,"
Swisher said. He expects wind production tax credits to be tacked on the House
bill, but warned that other provisions in the bill ö particularly those
addressing foreign trade ö could stall its passage.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Gerry Gilmour at (701) 241-5560