See:

http://www.rachel.org/bulletin/index.cfm?issue_ID=2431
#789 -- Answering Critiques of Precaution, Part 1, April 15, 2004

http://www.rachel.org/bulletin/index.cfm?issue_ID=2432
#790 -- Answering the Critics of Precaution, Part 2, April 29, 2004

Also:

http://www.rachel.org/bulletin/index.cfm?issue_ID=2407
#781 -- Critiques of the Precautionary Principle

----------

RACHEL'S ENVIRONMENT & HEALTH NEWS #791
http://www.rachel.org
May 13, 2004

Fourteen Reasons For Precaution

In Rachel's #789 and #790, we offered responses to the critics of
precaution.  Here we take a positive approach and offer 14 basic
arguments FOR precaution.

Probably the strongest argument for precaution is that the old
risk-based approach has harmed large numbers of people and has badly
damaged the environment.

For example, many millions of children have been hurt by the old
risk-based approach. Consider just toxic lead. As early as 1897, some
paint companies knew enough about the dangers of lead to advertise
that their paints were NOT made with toxic lead. (See the 1897 paint
label at
http://www.rachel.org/library/getfile.cfm?ID=263.) Obviously, if one
paint company knew it, all paint companies knew it -- or should have.
A least-harmful alternative was clear in 1897.

But from 1897 to 1976, risk assessment was used to justify the
continued use of toxic lead in paint and many paint companies
continued to use it. First the risk assessors said 60 micrograms in a
tenth of a liter of blood was "safe" for children. Large numbers of
children were severely poisoned by this assessment, and so a new
"risk assessment" established that 40 micrograms was "safe." More
children were badly poisoned by this "safe" amount, so a new risk
assessment was undertaken: "Twenty micrograms is safe -- and this
time we've got it RIGHT," said the risk assessors -- but more
children were poisoned, their IQs diminished, their ability to
concentrate ruined, their capacity to cope with stress destroyed --
they became aggressive, even violent, they dropped out of school and
headed for life in prison or permanent low-wage hell, or they
committed suicide. All thanks to mistaken risk assessments. Today
risk assessors claim 10 micrograms of lead is "safe," but many
scientists and doctors know this isn't true and wonder if even 2
micrograms of lead in a tenth of a liter of blood deserves to be
called "safe." (For more of this shameful history, see Rachel's #189,
#213, #214, #294, #376, #686, #688, #689.)

The old risk-based approach to decisions asked, "How much harm is
acceptable?" or "How much harm can we get away with?" The newer
precautionary approach asks, "How much harm can we avoid?" The
difference is profound.

Here (once again) is the basic statement of the precautionary principle[1]:

If we have reasonable suspicion of harm even in the face of some
scientific uncertainty we all have a duty to take action to avert
harm. We can take four kinds of precautionary action:

1. Set and state our goals (including implicit ones, such as justice
and democratic participation). Different parties may have different
goals, and it's good to acknowledge this.

2. Assess available alternatives for achieving the goals.

3. Gather and consider complete and accurate information -- and the
proponent bears the burden of providing it. This is what we mean by
"shifting the burden of proof" onto the proponent of a new technology.

4. Involve affected parties in decisions (beginning at the earliest
possible stages when questions are being asked and goals set).
Provide them the wherewithal to participate in a sustained way and
respect their values, knowledge, experience and preferences.

OBSTACLES TO PRECAUTION

My observation, from living in New Jersey, is that the major obstacle
to a precautionary approach is the refusal of decision-makers to
consider all available information.

Somehow we need to establish a "duty to consider" all available
information. This will not be easy because some government officials
advance their careers by NOT examining available information. Just
two examples will illustrate the point:

New Jersey recently issued a license to a garbage incinerator to spew
10,000 pounds of toxic lead, in the form of a fine, breathable dust
into a predominantly black, Hispanic and low-income community during
the next 5 years. The state's top environmental official, Dr. Bradley
Campbell, argues that this poses an "acceptable risk" to the affected
children because his "risk assessment" shows that the lead would only
cause an "acceptable" number of cancers -- conveniently ignoring 100
years of data showing that the greatest danger from lead is not
cancer but is damage to the central nervous system, reduced IQ, and
destruction of a child's life possibilities. By restricting the risk
assessment to cancer, and ignoring the main toxic effect of lead, the
state is able to keep an incinerator owner happy.  Will N.J. governor
James McGreevey's re-election campaign be rewarded by lawyers and
consultants close to the incinerator company?

Example number two: Recently the state of New Jersey refused to
examine the toxic chemicals in sewage sludge -- arguing that they
didn't need to know what was in sludge today because their previous
risk assessment (which they cannot locate in their files) had
determined that sludge was "safe" to use as fertilizer on soil. The
state's top environmental official, Dr. Bradley Campbell, says flatly
that sludge-as-fertilizer will not release troublesome amounts of
toxins into soils, water or air. He says that criticisms of his
sludge policy "have no basis in the science and data."

Without any testing, Dr. Campbell and his colleagues claim to know to
a scientific certainty that sludge does not contain worrisome amounts
of perfluorooctanes; phthalates; phenols (e.g., nonylphenol);
polybrominated flame retardants, including hexabromocyclododecane
(HBCD); DDE; tributyl tin; fenvalerate; cesium-137; strontium-90;
radium; antidepressants; birth-control hormones; pain relievers;
insect repellents; antibiotics; sun block; disinfectants and
antimicrobials; deodorant fragrances; perfumes; anti-cholesterol
drugs; growth hormones; caffeine; nicotine; aspirin; fluoxetine and
norfluoxetine (the active ingredients in Prozac); and sertraline and
norsertraline (found in Zoloft), Viagara, and other pharmaceutical
and personal care products. It is worth noting that fish living
downstream from sewage treatment plants in New Jersey contain most or
all of these substances.[2]

There's no end to the scientific information that can be ignored by
dedicated risk assessors when they set out to shore up a political
decision.

Yes, we need somehow to establish a "duty to consider" all available
information -- to prevent sleazy bureaucrats from cherry-picking data
and phonying up "risk assessments" to support decisions that have
been made for political purposes. (Readers' thoughts on how to
establish a "duty to consider" all available information would be
welcome at [EMAIL PROTECTED])

But scientific information is not the only kind of information needed
for decisions. Complete and accurate information means more than just
scientific knowledge (which is, of course, essential). It includes
historical knowledge, spiritual knowledge, local knowledge, business
knowledge, community preferences, cultural values, artistic
perceptions, and so on. This is not anti-science; it merely
acknowledges that there are other valid ways of knowing about the
world. As the European Environment Agency is fond of saying, "Science
should be on tap, not on top."

Sometimes non-scientific information is characterized as "emotional"
and "emotional" is then equated with "irrational." However, we should
recognize that emotions -- including fear -- have served humans well
for eons, so there is nothing wrong with an "emotional" response.
When you're operating in the dark, it's smart to be cautious -- and
somewhat fearful -- so being "emotional" can be entirely rational.
Emotional does not equal irrational.

FOURTEEN ARGUMENTS for PRECAUTION

#1: Past practices have failed us: As noted above, many past
practices have damaged the environment and public health. The old
risk-assessment-based approach has been harmful, so we need a new way
of making decisions. As a result of past practices, many kinds of
chronic diseases are now increasing: childhood cancers, breast
cancer, cancers of the testicles and prostate, nervous system
disorders (Parkinson's Disease, Lou Gehrig's disease), immune system
disorders (diabetes, asthma), are all increasing.[3]

Birth defect rates are steadily increasing.  The federal Centers for
Disease Control in 1990 summarized the trends in 38 types of birth
defects; they found 29 increasing, 2 decreasing, and 7 remaining
unchanged.[4]

In 1987, about 45% of Americans were living with one or more chronic
conditions (a term that includes chronic diseases and impairments).
In 1935, the proportion was 22%, so chronic conditions have
approximately doubled during the last 60 years. The majority of
people with chronic conditions are not disabled, nor are they
elderly. In fact, one out of every four children in the U.S. (25%)
now lives with a chronic condition.[5]

#2: The world is now full: On a global scale, there is abundant
evidence that the world is no longer empty but is now full -- of
humans and their artifacts.

Examples: Humans are now appropriating for their own use 40% of all
terrestrial net primary product of photosynthesis; within one
doubling of human population (40 to 45 years), this number will rise
to 80%.[6] In other words, humans are appropriating 40% of ALL the
biological activity that creates the bottom of the food chain for ALL
land-based creatures. We are squeezing other life-forms out of
existence.

Some consequences of a full world: Worldwide, topsoil is being
depleted at least 10 times as fast as nature can create it.[7]
Species are being driven to extinction at rates somewhere between 100
and 1000 times as fast as historical rates of extinction.[8] The
earth's capacity to absorb or assimilate wastes has been exceeded --
the evidence for this is unmistakable: global warming, depletion of
the Earth's ozone shield, the presence of toxic chemicals in salmon
and other fish, and industrial poisons in breast milk, for example.
There is no longer any place called "away" where it is safe to throw
our discards. Living in a full world means that we have new
responsibilities to be careful, to try hard to avoid causing further
harm, and to give the benefit of the doubt to the environment and
human health.

Our current ways of making decisions evolved when the world was
thought to be "empty." Now the world is a different kind of place --
it is full, and new conditions demand new ways of making decisions.

#3: Early warnings: When traveling in the dark, we naturally move
cautiously and keep all our senses attuned for signs of danger. When
flying blind, we pay close attention to the first sign of shapes
emerging in the clouds ahead and take action to avert harm at our
earliest opportunity. In other words, we look for, and heed, early
warnings. In the recent past, we as a society have failed to heed
early warnings. Evidence: asbestos, lead in paint, lead in gasoline,
PCBs [polychlorinated biphenyls], phthalates, polybrominated
diphenyls, and many pesticides, for example.[9] Precaution tells us
to look for, pay close attention to, and ACT upon, early warnings.

#4: Benefit of the doubt: When we're not sure what the effects of our
actions will be (uncertainty), we should give the benefit of the
doubt to public health and the environment.

#5: Natural rights: We all have a right to a clean, healthful
environment. To avoid breaching this right, we all have a
responsibility to anticipate harm and take steps to avert it.

#6: Responsibility for our behavior:  We are all responsible for the
consequences of our behavior, and we all have a responsibility to
prevent impending harm.

#7 Our role as trustees: We are all trustees of the world that we
inherited. We have a responsibility to preserve it, and pass it along
to the next generation undamaged. This is a traditional
"conservative" view, as espoused by, for example, Edmund Burke
(1727-1797).

Once we accept the responsibility to try to prevent harm, then the
rest follows: the way to protect the future is to set goals, examine
alternative ways of achieving those goals, consider all information
(which entails democratic participation by affected parties) -- and
give consideration, too, to the information that is missing -- and
choose the least-harmful alternative.

#8: Local Precedents: In most locales, we already have precautionary
language and behavior in some of our laws and practices. As San
Francisco has done (see Rachel's #765), we can catalog these and
organize them into a coherent "environmental code," which can begin
with a preamble that asserts everyone's right to a clean environment,
everyone's responsibility to protect the environment and avert harm,
and the need for an anticipatory, precautionary approach to
stewardship.

At the federal level, we have precaution built into the pre-market
testing of pharmaceutical products, and the U.S. Food and Drug
Administration's (FDA's) monitoring program that aims to identify
unexpected reactions to pharmaceutical products. The European Union
is trying to establish pre-market testing as the norm for all
industrial chemicals -- a proposal known as REACH (Registration,
Evaluation and Authorization of Chemicals). The Europeans have a
slogan that captures the essence of REACH: No data, no market. In
other words, if a chemical has not been thoroughly tested for effects
on human health and the environment, it cannot be marketed. Needless
to say, REACH is being opposed bitterly and vociferously by the Bush
Administration and the chemical industry world-wide, who favor the
"flying blind" approach because it has made them hugely wealthy (at
enormous cost to the public).

Surely it's only a matter of time before pre-market testing becomes
standard procedure and "No data, no market" is widely applied to
products far beyond mere chemicals.

#9: Public decision-making process: Precaution establishes a
decision-making process where perhaps there was none before. In many
locales, decisions are made ad hoc ("by the seat of your pants"), not
by any systematic procedure. Precaution offers a systematic way to
make decisions, and thus rationalizes governmental decision-making.

#10: Redefining the Role of Governmental Decision-makers: The
precautionary approach redefines several key questions for
governmental decision-makers. It is no longer sufficient to ask, "Is
it legal?" and "Is it safe?" Government must now also ask, "Is it
necessary?" That raises the question, "How do we determine what's
necessary?" Can necessity be tied to goals -- can our goals define
what is "necessary" and what is not? Another way to approach it: If
there are alternatives, then a thing is not "necessary."

Governmental decision-makers can also now say with confidence, "We
acknowledge that our world will never be free from risk. However, any
risk that is unnecessary or not freely chosen is not acceptable."
This highlights the point that government decisions are only
legitimate if they are made with the informed consent of those
affected. (As the Declaration of Independence says, governments
derive their "just powers" from "the consent of the governed.")
Precaution revitalizes and strengthens democracy.

The precautionary approach also gives governmental decision-makers
permission (and an obligation) to consider the full range of costs
including costs beyond the original price.

#11: Religious: The Earth belongs to God and we have a duty to
protect it from harm. In trying to protect God's creation, we have a
duty to try to foresee and forestall harm because if we wait for
proof of harm before acting, harm will occur and we will have failed
in our duty. If harm becomes evident, we have a duty to stop the
harmful activity (and to look around and find and stop similarly
harmful activities elsewhere) and to take restorative action.

#12: Economic arguments:

1) Publicly-traded corporations are severely restricted in what they
can do. Under law, they have a fiduciary duty to return a modest,
more-or-less steady profit to investors, and any goal that conflicts
with that duty is, as a matter of law, of secondary importance. This
gives corporations a powerful incentive to externalize their costs --
dumping wastes into the environment (usually legally, thanks to
pliant governments), harming and disrespecting their workers,
avoiding and evading their fair share of taxes, and so on.) It's not
that corporations are run by bad people -- it's that the law that
creates every corporation requires good people to do bad things.

2) We should note that precaution is fundamental to the insurance
industry -- anticipating harm and taking steps to mitigate its
effects (partly by sharing the costs, partly by agreeing to avoid
risky behavior). Often insured parties are required to take steps to
avert foreseeable harm (install smoke detectors; minimize the use of
radioactive or highly reactive chemicals; maintain and inspect
equipment such as elevators, etc.) So precaution is built in to some
businesses.

3) Precaution stimulates innovation, creating satisfying and
long-term (sustainable) jobs.[10]

4) Waste is evidence of design failure.  We pay to produce, process,
and dispose of something that we don't even want. Avoiding waste is
precautionary and makes economic sense.

#13: Medical:  Medical practitioners take precautionary action all
the time. They rarely have full information, but they take action to
avert harm, giving the benefit of the doubt to the well being of
their patient. Public health practitioners have taken "primary
prevention" as the starting point of public health policy since about
1850.

#14: Media: Reporters (and more importantly editors) could take a
precautionary approach by asking what alternatives were considered in
any unfolding story that has ramifications for public health or the
environment. They could also ask the three basic precautionary
questions:

1) Has anyone found less harmful alternatives? (Has anyone looked?)

2) How much harm is preventable?

3) Do we know enough to act to prevent harm?

                                            --Peter Montague ================

[1] Article 15 of the Rio Declaration (1992) contains an early
statement of the precautionary principle and can be found here:
http://www.rachel.org/library/getfile.cfm?ID=201 . The Wingspread
Statement on the Precautionary Principle (1998) can be found here:
http://www.rachel.org/library/getfile.cfm?ID=189

[2] See the eight articles on N.J. groundwater contamination by
Matthew Brown and Jan Barry published in the Bergen Record Sept. 22,
23 and 24, 2002. And see Alex Nussbaum, "NJ Water Contains Traces of
Daily Life," Bergen Record March 5, 2003. And see Chris Gosier,
"Water Detectives Search for Poisons," Daily Record March 3, 2003.
And see "Analyzing the Ignored Environmental Contaminants,"
Environmental Science and Technology [ES&T] April 1, 2002, pgs.
140A-145A. The N.J. newspaper articles can be found by searching
www.gsenet.org.

[3] Rising rates of many kinds of diseases were documented in
Rachel's #417, available at
http://www.rachel.org/bulletin/index.cfm?issue_ID=708 .

[4] Larry D. Edmonds and others, "Temporal Trends in the Prevalence
of Congenital Malformations at Birth Based on the Birth Defects
Monitoring Program, United States, 1979-1987," MMWR [Morbidity and
Mortality Weekly Report] CDC SURVEILLANCE SUMMARIES Vol. 39, No. SS-4
(December 1990), pg. 22.

[5] Catherine Hoffman and others, "Persons With Chronic Conditions,"
Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) Vol. 276, No. 18
(November 13, 1996), pgs. 1473-1479. The data describe the
non-institutionalized population.

[6] Peter M. Vitousek, and others. "Human Appropriation of the
Products of Photosynthesis," Bioscience Vol. 36 No. 6 (June, 1986),
pgs. 368-373. Available at:
http://www.rachel.org/library/getfile.cfm?ID=376

For additional evidence supporting the "full world" hypothesis, see
Peter M. Vitousek and others, "Human Domination of Earth's
Ecosystems," Science Vol. 277 (July 25, 1997), pgs. 494-499;
available at http://www.rachel.org/library/getfile.cfm?ID=200 . And
see Jane Lubchenco, "Entering the Century of the Environment: A New
Social Contract for Science," Science Vol. 279 (Jan. 23, 1998), pgs.
491-497, available at http://www.rachel.org/library/getfile.cfm?ID=203

[7] David Pimentel and others, "Environmental and Economic Costs of
Soil Erosion and Conservation Benefits," Science, Vol. 267, No. 5201.
(Feb. 24, 1995), pp. 1117-1123, available at
http://www.rachel.org/library/getfile.cfm?ID=381

[8] Stuart L. Pimm and others, "The Future of Biodiversity," Science
Vol. 269 (July 21, 1995), pgs. 347-350, available at
http://www.rachel.org/library/getfile.cfm?ID=382

[9] Poul Harremoes and others, Late lessons from early warnings: the
precautionary principle 1896-2000 [Environmental Issue Report No. 22]
(Copenhagen, Denmark: European Environment Agency, 2001). This report
is available free at http://www.rachel.org/library/getfile.cfm?ID=301
but be aware that it's a couple of megabytes in size.

[10] Frank Ackerman and Rachel Massey, Prospering With Precaution.
This short report, published during 2002 by the Global Development
and Environment Institute at Tufts University, argues that
precautionary policies promote industrial innovation and create jobs.
Available at http://www.rachel.org/library/getfile.cfm?ID=218

HEALTH NEWS
Environmental Research Foundation
P.O. Box 160
New Brunswick, N.J. 08903
Fax (732) 791-4603; E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]