Thanks, Martin. My thoughts also.

Regards,
chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Klingensmith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 12:07 AM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [biofuel] RE: Vacuum Pump for Condenser

Tan wrote:
> Fred,
> Actually, I have been contemplating on this for quite a long time. I have
> been studying Dale Scroggin's processor which has a vacuum pump in it.
> (http://home.swbell.net/scrof/Biod_Proc.html). His schematics
> (http://home.swbell.net/scrof/procdraw.htm) indicate that the vacuum pump
is
> connected at the end of the vapor line--process tank, condenser, alcohol
> trap then vacuum pump. But, my concern is since the pump is connected at
the
> end of the line, the alcohol trap is also subjected to vacuum and so
> considerable alcohol will be re-vaporized and lost to the atmosphere. To
> minimize alcohol lost, I am thinking that the vacuum pump must be situated
> before the condenser--process tank, vacuum pump, condenser then liquid
trap.

I believe the goal may have been to prevent alcohol vapor from going
through the vacuum pump.

If I were going to build a processor like this, I would add a bubbler
full of water after the liquid trap, further cleansing the gas stream of
any alcohol vapors.

> In this setup only the process tank is subjected to vacuum. The condenser
> and the liquid trap would have a higher pressure, which is conducive to
> condensation,  by constricting the liquid trap air outlet. A totally close
> condenser system is, I think, close to impossible since the vapor other
than
> alcohol pumped from the processor must go somewhere.

A closed system is ideal, and like all ideal things - not possible. With
a good condensor [kept cold] the vacuum pump wouldn't have to pull much
more than the volume of the alcohol.

> By the time gas reaches
> the outlet, the alcohol should have been condensed due to lowered
> temperature leaving us with just gas (other than alcohol). The velocity of
> the gas will be diminished as it enters the liquid trap due to its bigger
> cavity (Bernoulli's principle), thus there is less possibility that the
> alcohol recovered will be re-vaporized and escape into the air.

The recovered alcohol should be kept as cold as possible while it is
under the vacuum. If it is kept at the same temperature as the condensor
only a small amount should evaporate.
I'm sure you know this, I'm just adding comments.

> How does this sound?

good

Martin Klingensmith
http://infoarchive.net/