All kinds of information on MB's, including diesel powered. Which
have what boo boo's and which have the best reputation for endurance
ect...
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=10 This is
primarily on the w123 frame (200 and 300 series Mercedes) From what
has been touted the 1983 240D and the 1995 E300 diesels have the
best reps as diesel plants.
Once the 240D's frame is truly finished, which won't happen barring
a rear end or dead on side hit accident, the engine can be removed
and turned into one great and powerful diesel generator that can be
used to supply electricity for a whole village or hospital ect...
and it is one of the best for BD :) use.
Of course, the TDI is building quite the reputation for good mileage
so maybe that will yet prove to be a winner too(a whole lot more
expensive right now too).

Luc