Hello Jayant,

----- Original Message -----
From: "jayantharangaonkar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 4:41 PM
Subject: [biofuel] Re: biodiesel with pongamia oil

> Mr. Balaji,
> Can you guide me, Iam facing problem of foam formation during bubble
> washing. What can be the reason.
>
> Also i want to know whether bio-diesel is oily & slightly sticky.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jayant harangaonkar

> Dear all,
> I have recently joined this group.
> I have made the biodiesel, but during washing lot of foam formation
> has occoured but no oil water emulsion has formed. I want to know
> what can be the reasons & what actions to be taken.

> Regards,

> Jayant

I do not know the process you followed and the ratios of various materials
you used for making biodiesel. What is the stock you used, was it virgin oil
or waste oil? If the former what oil did you use, was it Pongamia ? If the
latter did you titrate for FFA? Did you use KOH or caustic lye? Please
provide details.

In the meanwhile, refer to the link you find at  the bottom of this message.
and the further links

Follow up the links and download all the web pages. This is invaluable,
particularly during the learning curve.
You can also do a search of the list archives,
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/ using "bubble wash foaming" as the
search words.
This will turn up more info and much practical advice from pioneers like
Keith, Girl Mark, Todd, Martin et al. What would we do without you guys and
the considerable effort, time, thought and expertise you give of so freely ?

"http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_bubblewash.html
Froth
Beginners sometimes have a lot of trouble with the wash -- as soon as they
start the bubbler the mixture starts to froth up and "boils over". This will
partly be due to excess soap, but more likely because the biodiesel reaction
didn't go far enough, leaving unconverted or partly converted material in
the fuel. These will be di-glycerides and mono-glycerides -- the frothing
will be caused by the mono-glycerides, which work as emulsifiers.

Frothing can be quenched by using more acid, and it will probably need more
washing than usual, but the real solution is to improve the process. Poor
titration, insufficient methanol, inadequate agitation, low process
temperature, not enough mixing time can all lead to an incomplete process."

Regards.

balaji.