Hello all.

As promised, I am writing to let you know how my first test batch is
going.  Before I get started, let me say that I have not ignored the
fact that several folks have warned me to start with the one step
process before going on to the Foolproof method.  As I have said in
the past, I have a strong background in chemistry, and am not
intimidated by this aspect of biodiesel production.  I do have
concerns about my ability to build a processor once I have the
process down, but am learning from the resources available and think
that this can be done.

That being said, it has been a very good day.  Last night, I
filtered a liter of the used canola oil that I have been hoarding
for the past month or so.  This morning, I went to the store and
bought a stainless steel saucepan, which I set on top of an electric
griddle that I have had for years.  I was planning to buy a small
hot plate at the store as well, but they were out.  What they had
were electric griddles, and I though of the fact that I had one of
those that I never use which would be great for the purpose.  I
heated the oil to 95 degrees F and added 80 cc methanol.  After
mixing for 5 minutes, I added 1 cc H2SO4 using a syringe, then
continued stirring and heating.  The oil darkened instantly on
adding the acid, and stayed dark through the remainder of the
mixing.  It did get somewhat hot at one point, to almost 120
degrees, when I turned the thermostat up to combat the temperature
falling to about 90.  There seems to be a lag between making changes
in the thermostat on the griddle and it actually cooling, and the
oil was already up that high before it dawned on me that I could
just take the pan off the griddle and allow both the oil and griddle
a little time to cool.  Anyway, after stirring for an hour with a
paint stirring attachment on my cordless drill, I took the pan off
the heat and continued stirring for another hour.  I ended up with a
mixture that appeared a great deal like used motor oil, which is
what it seems I should have from the description on the JTF web
site.  It has been sitting for about two hours so far, and is
separating.  I will let it settle overnight tonight, then proceed to
the base step in the morning.  I'll come back tomorrow to let you
all know how that went.  For now, though, this has been fun.  I'd
like to once again thank all of those here who have helped me get
this far.  I am hoping that soon I will be driving on pure B100 home
brew.

Brian