A slight correction is necessary here.  Concentrated sulfuric acid
(~98%) is 18 M or 18 molar.  This does make a  significance difference.
an 18 M solution is 36 N or 36 normal,  because sulfuric acid is
diprotic.   Hence a 18 N solution of sulfuric acid would only be about
50%, the remainder water.  I doubt that it would work as a catalyst with
the water present, because the acid stage appears to be very sensitive
to the presence of water.

Hunt, Adam wrote:

>If you are looking to buy sulfuric acid from a chemical supplier you might
>want to ask for 18N sulfuric acid (thats "eighteen normal sulfuric acid").
>18N sulfuric acid is what is more commonly know as concentrated sulfuric acid.
>
>If you are interested in small quantities of relatively concentrated H2SO4 go
>to your local home center's plumbing section and look at the bottles of drain
>opener.  The stores near me carry quart jugs sealed in clear plastic bags of
>sulfuric acid for use as a serious drain opener.  I can not attest for the
>quality of acid from this source it may have quite a bit of water in it.

I doubt  that it would be conc. sulfuric acid.  Addition of conc.
sulfuric acid to a small amount of water, as may be found in a clogged
drain would cause the resultant solution to boil instantly, resulting
in  acid/water mixture blowing back in your face.

>Sulfuric acid does have an affinity for water so you may want to dry it.  As I
>have never used this method I do not know how sensitive it is to water and I
>can not say if it is necessary.  You can boil off all but 2% of the absorbed
>water by carefully boiling it off.

you might, I would not even think about it.

>  You might also be able to use a desiccant such as CaCl2 or silica gel
> although I am not sure what is proper to use for H2SO4.

Actually I bet you could use conc. sulfuric acid to dry CaCl2.

>What ever you do BE CAREFUL!  H2SO4 is nasty stuff use it with respect.

Very important advise!

If you want a small quantity of  conc. sulfuric acid, to do test
batches,  try going to the nearest  college/university chemistry lab,
explain clearly what you want to do with the stuff and I bet someone
would give  it to you.  I certainly would- assuming you knew what you
were doing and were aware of the risks involved in handling the stuff.

>--adam

     Bob Allen, Professor of Chemistry
     Arkansas Tech University
     http://ozarker.org/bob

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression;
this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference
and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any
media and regardless of frontiers.

Article 19 of The Declaration of Human Rights, adopted by the
United Nations General Assembly,10 December 1948: