Hello Donald

>I've just put my first home blend of 5% biodiesel in my 1996 UK-spec
>Peugeot 406, and it works very well. However I've read about rubber
>fuel line components being 'rotted' by higher mixes of boidiesel. So
>before I put in a higher blend, I need to identify the materials in
>use in my car, and whether I will need to replace them before long
>term use of B100.
>
>How do I do this? Is there a reliable way of identifying natural
>rubber? The fuel line looks like rubber and is black and 'squidgy',
>but there are artificial materials that have similar properties, so
>I'm not sure.
>
>It seems that in Europe up until 1996 rubber was generally used but
>since that year due to biodiesel being readily available in certain
>countries, manufacturers started using other materials. As my vehicle
>is 1996 I don't know whether it will use rubber or not.

I wouldn't bother. Actually I didn't bother, and neither did a lot of
other people.

First, a 1996 Pug or 1996 anything else won't have anything in there
that biodiesel will eat. Well, it might, but petro-diesel will eat it
just as fast (or just as slowly), so that doesn't make using
biodiesel a problem.

The fact is it's hard to find a case where it actually happened. If
it does happen it won't be a sudden catastrophe, you'll have enough
warning to do something about it.

So go ahead, chuck it in and go.

One proviso - this applies to *washed* biodiesel. No guarantees with
unwashed biodiesel. For one thing, the excess methanol in it will rot
a lot of things biodiesel itself won't rot.

For more information see:

Biodiesel and your vehicle > Compatibility -- Rubber
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_vehicle.html#rubber

Best