In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          yarinha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> oh by the way, i forgot to mention that in most of the places i saw
> biodiesel, it was really a lot cheaper than regular diesel.   That's
> (i think) the reason they told me it was tax free, for tractors only
> (red), and illegal for regular cars.

Yes, the price difference is because of taxes. In France, 80% of what
you pay at the pump is tax. There are 2 fuels which would fit a diesel
engine: "Fioul" (no idea what it's called in the US/UK) and "Gasoil".
Both work perfectly in a diesel engine but "Fioul" is almost tax-free
and is meant for domestic use only. Only farmers are allowed to use
Fioul for their tractors (some of them use Fioul in their cars, which is
illegal). Fioul has a coloured additive to track the frauders. The
colour will stay even if you switch back to normal gasoil afterwards :)

Anyway, gasoil sold in europe is a blend of Biodiesel and diofuel
(between 2% and 5% - should rise to a minimum of 5.75% by 2010). So, the
"you can't use" bit is meant in a legal fashion, not technical.

--
JŽr™me Mathevet