Hello everyone,

I use the single stage process from WVO that I collect from local
restaurants.. Currently I use neat biodiesel in three vehicles, a 2001
Excursion
(powerstroke engine) and a VW pickup with a 1997 Jetta engine which is a new,
not
remanufactured 1.9 liter with about 3000 miles on the engine,.and a 1985
Mercedes
Benz 300 SD with 125,000 miles.

The Exursion has Amsoil bypass filtration, has 40,000 miles and has had the
same oil in it from 26,000 miles. I have not done an analysis yet because it is
recommended to be done when the oil has  20,000 miles on it. I installed the
oil filtration at 35,000 miles and it cleaned some of the soot out of it
(visual inspection). Amsoil claims to filter particles one tenth of a micron
with
90% first pass efficeincy

I have almost finished the bypass filtration installation on the Mercedes
Benz.

I did read a lot of the archive threads and I have a coupe comments. PAO base
synthetics are true synthetics and not made from crude oil. The brand names
are Amsoil and Mobil 1 that I am aware of.

Castrol syntec is highly refined crude, hydroisomerized I believe is the
term. There was a lawsuit between Mobil one and Castrol and Castrol won
redefining
what could be called synthetic. A great website is
www.performanceoiltechnology.com.

Amsoil does recommend 25,000 mile oil/one year change intervals without oil
analysis and bypass filtration and it is listed on the bottle. PAO basestocks
do not break down and Amsoil has added buffers to neutralize acids from the
combustion process. For independent evidence my Excursion service interval for
rear differential is lifetime fill suggesting manufacturers are admitting
synthetics do not break down although obviously there are no byproducts from
combustion contaminating the oil, which leads to the next comment.............

I AM using soy feedstock WVO for my biodiesel so I will be finding out if it
polymerizes the oil. However, from my understanding of PAO chemistry the bonds
are fully saturated and very unreactive. Dinosaur oil is really a crappy
cocktail of contaminants so who knows how that will react with soy methyl
ester.
By the way there is some Diesters in the PAO basestocks to help dissolve
additives and counteract gasket shrinking.

Finally I have asked Fitch Fuel Catalyst to do some testing over in Austria
on lowering the gel point of biodiesel. I hope they are currently working on
it. They claim to be able to reduce the gel point of dino diesel but no data
yet
on B100. The have a web site with some good information on cetane numbers and
combustion.

As far as I'm concerned everyone should immediately begin using synthetics to
reduce fuel consumption. It is easy and the data is solid. For the record I
am NOT an Amsoil Dealer, only a preferred customer. By profession I am a
dentist and will never be in the retail synthetic oil business so I have no ax
grind.

I hope this is on interest to the group,

Lurch