--- Lyle Estill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Dear List,

> I watch the contributions fly by from various subscribers reporting
> their fuel prices to the student who needs the data for a project.
>
> That's wonderful.
>
> And it seems there is a sense that biodiesel needs to compete with
> regular diesel on price.
>
> I get that a lot at Piedmont Biofuels, and I thought I would toss
> this
> out to the list:
>
> Diesel in North Carolina right now is about 1.69 a gallon.
>
> At 3.50 a gallon for B100, biodiesel is a bargain.

I agree with you on this - here in the UK we do pay for our healthcare
more at the pump than in the US, but your point about $3.50 per gallon
being a bargain (about half the UK price) stands, as you need to
consider the _system_ costs. These will include a lot of things that
Joe Public won't even think about.

> As a society we have decided that I will pay my own health care tab
> for
> my asthmatic children.
> I do not pay for health care at the pump.  If I did, if we decided
> that
> petroleum producers were accountable for the health effects of their
> products, add a buck per gallon.
>
> This concept is commonplace in cultures where the government pays for
>
> health care.  Go buy a litre of diesel in Canada sometime.  Or any
> other civilized society, for that matter.
>
> As a society we have decided to pay for the security of our oil
> supply
> on April 15th--rather than at the pump.  Even in peacetime, Uncle Sam
>
> maintains a huge (and expensive) military presence in the Persian
> Gulf.
>   Forget Saddam for a moment (we all know that Operation Iraqi
> Freedom
> has nothing to do with oil.  We are there because Saddam is a bad
> guy.
> He even tortures prisoners and such).  Even in peacetime we provide
> fighter jet escorts to tankers leaving the gulf.
>
> If we asked the importers of petroleum diesel to pay the tab for
> that--rather than paying in our taxes, add a buck a gallon.
>
> Suddenly 3.50 a gallon saves you money and the price "objection" goes
>
> away...

The problem here is that you are assuming that individuals actually
care and think about this. The fact that you and I are on the biofuels
mailing list shows that we are very rare beings - we actually think and
care about a lot of things. I bet you care about other issues unrelated
to biofuels too - I certainly do - and are probably on a number of
different mailing lists and subscribe to a number of different
magazines that reflect what you care about.

The problem is, probably about 99% of the population only care about
one thing - what they _think_ they are paying to maintain their
lifestyle. If only we could get them to care about what they are
_actually_ paying, that would be a major step forward, and that's
before we even try to get people to change their lifestyles. And what
people think they are paying is the pump price of their fuel, in this
case.

Do you ever work out the cost per mile of a journey? What does that
cost include? Does it include the cost of servicing your vehicle,
divided by the number of mile between services? Does it include wear
and tear on the tyres? Cost of windscreen wash? Antifreeze? Replacing
the battery every few years? Does it include tax, insurance,
depreciation in any way? Does it include wear and tear on the road
surface? Does it include the cost of clearing up after accidents? Does
it include any healthcare costs? Does it include costs associated with
washing/cleaning your vehicle? I could go on almost ad infinitum, but I
bet for most people the only cost they include is the fuel.

Most people don't even care about what goes on in Iraq, as long as
their perceived cost of transport is low.

So in the bigger picture, of course the pump price of the fuel is not
very significant. But for the majority of users, it is the single most
important factor in deciding which fuel to use, if given a choice. If
it can't compete at the pump on price, very few people will buy it.

Now that biodiesel prices in the UK are similar to dinodiesel prices as
a result of a tax concession, the rate of usage is increasing rapidly -
and there's not even a significant cost _advantage_ at the moment. I
think you will find that people are the same the world over - most
people don't care at all, and those that do will need a certain amount
of persuading before they change their ways.

I started buying biodiesel for environmental reasons, but I now think
by far the most important reason is political - the environmental
benefits seem small compared to the political benefits to me at the
moment.

Donald

=====
--
43 - slightly more than the answer to life, the universe and everything.

Messenger - sooooo many all-new ways to express yourself
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com