I happen to work in the federal govenrment of Canada's laboratory
that is involoved in the Weyburn project.

Although I am not personally involved in the project, I have raised
these issues with management in casual hallway conversation.
Managers do not want to think of these issues, although I can see in
their reactions that they are not totally comfortable with a lot of
the things we do.  Just like myself, they have a paycheck to protect
and a mortgage to pay.  The official line is that we are learning
and experimenting.

That is all fine.  But then what?  Sure, maybe we will discover from
the Weyburn project that CO2 injection does not, after all, acidify
water which dissolves limestone reservoirs which weakens and
lubricates existing fault planes which releases a belch of CO2 which
then kills the inhabitants of neighbouring Weyburn.  We may very
well discover that the whole idea is fantastic, actually works and
is cost effective.  After all, one of its aims is to assess the
possibility of sequestering CO2 right underneath a coal fired
electric generator.  But again, then what?  The issues remain.

To me, the project is a tiny band-aid over a severe amputation.  I
believe we are kidding ourselves and actually helping the industry
in its greenwashing activities.

Keeping up our present methods of supporting our lifestyle will only
lead us to these paltry little bandaid solutions.  While our
governments remain in denial in  the name of preserving jobs and the
economy, the wound will continue to fester.

Pierre