According to the results of a major study recently
completed by Eduardo del Hierro, Juan Carlos del Hierro and
myself which intends to put in the proper perspective the
possibilities of using palm oil derivatives ( including
crude palm oil and/or palm biodiesel ), among other
important aspects we found that in order to substitute 100
% of the diesel comsumption in Colombia ( at present we use
around 70,000 barrels per day ) we would need the palm oil
produced by 900,000 hectares of plantations in full
production. At this moment in Colombia we have 180,000
hectares in full production. You must keep in mind that it
takes six to seven years for a palm oil plantation to reach
full production levels. Malaysia, the world leader in the
palm oil business, has 3.8 to 3.9 million hectares planted.
One of our conclusions for Colombia is that palm oil as a
biofuel has a space, indeed, but it is not the inmediate
and magic solution because of the aforesaid and for the
relative cost considerations which comprises one the major
portions of the study.

Arturo Infante V

Infante A, Del Hierro E, Del Hierro J.C., Del Hierro A,
"Estudio Sobre la Prefactibilidad TŽcnica y Econ—mica de la
Producci—n en Colombia de los Derivados del Aceite Crudo de
Palma como Carburantes para Motores de Ciclo Diesel"
FEDEPALMA ( Federation of Palm Oil Growers of Colombia)
www.fedepalma.org , July 2004. Bogot‡ Colombia.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>>Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 23:30:09 -0000
>>>From: "jeff_kerzner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>>To: Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>>Subject: Re: Biofuels hold key to future of British
farming

>>>I was having a discussion last night with a leading
scientist in
>>>the renewable energy field about using oil-bearing crops
to produce
>>>bio-diesel, and a question he raised was "what size area
would be
>>>required to plant a sufficient amount of crops to offset
the energy
>>>required for the whole growing & production process?".
 Could somebody
>>>please comment on this.  Thanks and GO BIO-DIESEL!
>>
>>The answer: none.
>>
>>Keith Addison
>>Journey to Forever
>>Handmade Projects
>>Osaka, Japan
>>http://journeytoforever.org/
>>

>I guess the leading scientist wouldn't have thought much
of that answer.

>Ask him this: how much fossil-energy, in fuel, fertilizers
and
>pesticides, would be required to produce enough food to
feed 900
>million people?
>
>Answer: none.
>
>According to the FAO, no less. More than 15% of the
world's food
>supply is produced by city farms (in 1993, expected to
grow to 33%
>by 2005), with virtually no inputs other than wastes (thus
vastly
>decreasing city sanitation problems as well), and with the
use of no
>farming land at all. Quite easy to apply such an approach
>biofuels production. For one thing, only 10% of the WVO in
the
>industrialized countries is collected, and it will stay at
that
>level until there are such *local* initiatives. Large
amounts of
>fuel ethanol can be produced by micro-operations from city
wastes.
>Large amounts of biogas can be produced for heating and
cooking from
>wastes, and the sludge used as fertilizer in the city
farm.

>That's just one such niche.
>
>Britain and Europe are supposed to be moving towards
sustainable
>agriculture. They'll try input substitution first -
"organic"
>weedkillers, LOL! Substitution doesn't work too well
anyway - high
>inputs, average to low outputs, lower externalizations.
Less than 5%
>of the organic farmers in the US use any pesticides at
all, of
>whatever origin, according to the USDA - they don't need
them.
>Organics by management (rather than by substitution or by
neglect)
>is low-input high-output.
>http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=12561&list=BIOFUEL
>
>It's integrated, and on any integrated farm it's possible
to arrange
>a constant varying supply of by-products to produce
biofuels and
>bioenergy sufficient to run the farm, plus. Even a
half-baked
>organics by substitution farm that hasn't discovered
grazing yet
>(buys in livestock feed) can achieve 40% energy
self-sufficiency.
>http://www.landinstitute.org/vnews/display.v/ART/2001/03/28/3accb0712

>?in_archive=1
>
>Done properly using by-products and "wastes", how would
you ascribe
>a land-use figure to it? You wouldn't be using any land at
all, not
>exclusively.
>
>Hence my answer: none.
>
>More accurately perhaps, none and up.
>
>I suppose the scientist wanted to calculate a
national-scale program
>for fossil-fuel replacement. For one thing, rather more
than mere
>replacement is required, it also needs large reductions in
energy
>use and large improvements in energy efficiency, whatever
the fuel
>source. Anyway, such centralized, top-down schemes also
don't work
>very well, especially not when it comes to land use.
Hence, perhaps,
>the sorry recent record of British agriculture, and, too,
the huge
>waste and very high costs of the CAP, of commodity farming
in the US
>of soy and maize etc, and the massive externalizations
inherent in
>this approach. Jules Pretty at Essex conservatively
calculates the
>true costs of British farming to be higher than it's
income.
>Biofuels should be produced by more of the same?
>
>Maybe it's this approach that sees the British government
thundering
>expensively down the biomass-energy path, throwing away
>multi-millions on coppice gasification projects.
>
>Think small, think local.
>
>Best
>
>Keith Addison
>Journey to Forever
>

>>>--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Please do NOT send Unsubscribe messages to the list
address.

GRACIAS POR PREFERIR SKYNET