kno_ton wrote:

> My '66 Beetle w/ 1600 engine (replaced engine last April) won't start.
> It's been running and starting great.  I had been out with it Friday.
> No problems.  Saturday, it wouldn't start.

        There are two places you need to start.  First of all, is the engine
getting fuel?  Secondly, are the cylinders getting spark?

                1.  Check your fuel filter to make sure it isn't clogged.

                2.  Pull on your throttle cable and check to see if fuel is
flowing
to the engine.  You may have to inspect your carburetor to
        verify
that it isn't plugged with varnish or gunk from your fuel tank.

                3.  Pull a spark plug.  If it's wet and smells like gasoline,
you're
getting fuel.  If it's dry, you may not be.

                4.   Put the wire boot back on the spark plug.  Touch the
ground
lead to the engine block and have someone
                                crank the engine over.  You should see a blue
spark across the gap.

        If you are not getting fuel, start at the tank and work your way
forward until you find out what's going on.  If you're not getting
spark, start at the battery and work forward through the electrical
system, to the distributor, your points and condenser (the latter of
which may fail suddenly), and on to the spark plugs.  A new set of
points and condenser should be pretty cheap for a VW.

        If you try all of this, and you're getting fuel and spark, the engine
SHOULD run.  If not, check your timing and valve adjustment.

        Let us know how this pans out!

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind