--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The global food trade - the vital numbers
> - For every calorie of carrot flown into the UK from South Africa,
we
> use 66 calories of fuel.
> - Of every 100 fruits consumed in the UK, only five will now have
> been produced domestically.
> - One shopping basket of organic products could have travelled
> 241,000 kilometres and released as much CO2 into the atmosphere as
an
> average four-bedroom house does through cooking meals over eight
> months.
> - In 1998 the UK imported 61,400 tonnes of poultry meat from the
> Netherlands. In the same year it exported 33,100 tonnes of poultry
> meat back to the Netherlands.
> - In 1997 126 million litres of milk were imported into the UK,
while
> 270 million litres were exported at the same time.
..........<snip>..............
Keith,

Would the phrase "Taking coals to Newcastle" fit with your post above?
>From the link below, I gleaned one paragraph about coals to Newcastle:
URL-> http://www.thenortheast.fsnet.co.uk/page49.htm
Paragraph from URL->
COALS TO NEWCASTLE
Recorded coal mines supplying coal to Newcastle existed at Elswick,
Winlaton, Heworth and the Town Moor. By 1378 Newcastle shipped 15,000
tons of coal per year and exported coal to many parts of Europe as
well as importing iron ore from Sweden. In 1452 t rades included the
keelmen who ferried the coal to collier ships in the centre of the
Tyne. The phrase "coals to Newcastle", meaning an unnecessary
pursuit, was first recorded in 1538.
--------------------------
Also, while digging around on the web for the phrase, I coincidently
ran across a recent biofuels article pertaining to the phrase "Coals
to Newcastle":

http://www.earthtoys.com/emagazine.php?
issue_number=04.08.01&article=biodiesel

Text version:
"No More Coals To Newcastle!"
UK Firm Pioneers Biodiesel That Grows on Trees
by Candida Jones for D1 Oils

The British have a saying, "taking coals to Newcastle", that
Americans might render as "taking steel to Pittsburgh". Newcastle,
one of the centres of Britain's industrial revolution, was for
hundreds of years the main source of coal for London. So taking coal
to the city was the epitome of a pointless activity. Now, however, D1
Oils, a UK company based in Newcastle, has come up with a new and
environmentally sound spin on the old adage. Rather than dealing in
the kind of carbon-rich products that Newcastle's economy depended on
for so many years (and left its countryside scarred and its towns
polluted), D1 will be importing to the UK vegetable oil from some of
the poorest countries in the world for refining into biodiesel.

Biodiesel is a renewable liquid fuel extracted from biological raw
material and is an excellent low-carbon substitute for oil in the
transport sector. The vegetable oil which D1 will import will be
derived mainly from the jatropha tree, which can grow in some of the
least hospitable soils in Africa and Asia, bringing work and foreign
currency to those who grow and refine the energy crop, and bringing
clean fuel alternatives to both the developed and developing world.
In short, the cultivation of energy crops may be just what the
developing world needs if it is to avoid taking the same polluted
path to industrialization that Newcastle itself embarked upon over
200 years ago.

Jatropha ö the fuel of the future

D1 is focusing its efforts on extracting oil from the seeds of the
jatropha tree, which, once processed, has similar physical and
chemical properties and a similar energy value to normal fossil
diesel, and which can be blended with conventional diesel. Jatropha
seeds have an oil yield of up to 40%, and produce profitable
byproducts such as glycerine for cosmetics and seed cake for
fertilizer and animal feed. Jatropha can be grown almost anywhere but
does especially well in West Africa, Southern Africa and India. It
grows quickly, and is hardy and drought-tolerant. Jatropha
establishes itself easily even in arid and waste land where other
crops would perish, and such land is often abundant in the poorest
areas of the developing world. Jatropha can even be grown on semi-
desert using waste water, making it a useful tool in the prevention
of desertification. Since planting, growing and refining jatropha
seeds requires manpower, its cultivation would generate large numbers
of agricultural jobs in regions where there is often widespread
poverty. D1 does not aim simply to cultivate the seeds for the
benefit of foreign markets; it has developed a modular transportable
refinery for producing biodiesel locally from various feedstocks. The
refinery produces minimal emissions, uses virtually no water and can
be powered in remote locations by its own biodiesel. Indeed, using
biodiesel in transport and in power generation will allow the
developing world to expand its economy and industry without this
growth being at the expense of its environment.

But importing biodiesel from the jatropha tree would also help
Europe. It would provide a crucial fillip to the EU's biofuels policy
while assisting with the realisation of clean-air legislation,
climate change reduction and security of supply.

Biofuels legislation

The EU's Biofuels directive requires a minimum level of biofuels as a
proportion of fuels sold of 2% by 2005, 5.75% by 2010 and 20% by
2020. These targets will create a demand of 14m tonnes of biofuels by
2010 of which the European Commission expects biodiesel to represent
7.8m tonnes. Currently the EU relies on the heavily-subsidized
cultivation of rapeseed and sunflower to help meet these targets.
Already some 3m hectares of agricultural land across the EU
cultivates 10m tonnes of rapeseed, an area roughly the size of
Belgium, but since just 20% of this (or 2m tonnes) is ultimately used
for biodiesel as opposed to edible rapeseed oil, another whole
Belgium would have to be covered in the yellow rape seed blanket to
meet the EU biofuel targets. Rapeseed also tires the land, requiring
a combination of crop rotation and fossil-based fertilizers to keep
production going and preventing farmers from growing more
environmentally-friendly organic products or less intensive crops. D1
believes that jatropha could fill the biofuels gap which is currently
being plugged by ever more crops of rapeseed.

Biodiesel ö better for health and the environment

The cultivation of energy crops brings with it health and
environmental benefits for both the host country and the importing
nations. According to the International Energy Association (IEA) the
use of oil, including diesel, for road transport will double in the
next 25 years and greenhouses gases will increase commensurably with
disastrous repercussions for our environment. Compared with mineral
diesel, however, biodiesel reduces particle emissions (PM) by 30%,
carbon monoxide (CO), which affects air quality and human health, by
50% and sodium monoxide (SOx) by 50%. The US Department of Energy has
confirmed that "the biodiesel 20 mix (a 20% biodiesel solution) emits
16% less CO2 than petrol diesel", making even diluted biodiesel a
preferable option to conventional fuel. Unlike mineral diesel,
biodiesel is non-toxic and is biodegradable. In tests sponsored by
the US Department of Agriculture biodiesel was confirmed as ten times
less toxic than table salt and as biodegradable as dextrose. Added to
these statistics the obvious need for the world to find alternative
energy sources to volatile Middle Eastern oil and the EU's stated
objective of ensuring a secure and diverse energy supply, and
biodiesel becomes an ever more attractive alternative.

Progress in the developing world

D1 has already embarked on the long road of finding ideal locations
for the cultivation of jatropha, securing supply deals and planning
refineries both in the UK and on location in the developing world.
This winter D1 expects to open its first refinery in Newcastle. Plans
are already underway to establish facilities at various locations in
the developing world, and D1 has signed plantation agreements in
Burkina Faso, Ghana, Malawi, Namibia, South Africa and Zambia.

India

India offers an ideal market for biodiesel. Not only is the country
undergoing rapid economic expansion, but increases in world oil
prices have been a catalyst for India to speed up a non-fossil fuel
development programme. India also has large areas of poor quality
land ideal for the cultivation of energy crops, so growing jatropha
will not divert land away from growing vital food crops.

It is estimated that 75% of the increase in world demand for oil over
will come from transport. Given India's booming economy, its
transport sector will consume ever higher amounts of fuel over the
coming years. Indeed, demand for diesel fuel only is expected to grow
from current levels of 44m mt to 67m mt by end of decade. Aware of
these predictions, the government of India has a $300m biofuels
programme in place which foresees India replacing 5% of current
diesel with biodiesel by 2005/6, eventually rising to 20%.

D1 Oils India, a subsidiary of D1, is already in discussions with the
Indian government to see how it can help India meet these targets.
According to D1 estimates, for India to reach its target of 20%
biodiesel mix, some 2m hectares of jatropha will be needed. With this
target in mind, D1 has been working with the Tamil Nadu agricultural
university on research into jatropha and large-scale planting and has
put forward proposals to plant jatropha in Tamil Nadu, Madhya
Pradesh, Rajasthan and Chhattisgarh.

D1 wants to involve local organisations, ranging from NGOs to women's
self-help groups, in the planting. Ultimately, it intends to site
refineries across India, supplying direct to buyers such as Indian
Oil. D1 estimates that 10,000 hectares will be required for each
refinery, producing 8,000 tonnes of diesel from 20,000 tonnes of
seed.

"In addition to bringing our biodiesel expertise to the Indian Sub
continent we will work with state agricultural universities to
produce the focused fertilisers for the Jatropha tree. There will be
a branch in each of the target states", says Roger King of D1 Oils
India.

Philippines

D1 is also able to produce biodiesel from other feedstocks, such as
coconut oil. In June this year D1 Oils signed an agreement with the
Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA) for a pilot project producing
biodiesel from coconuts for export to Japan and possibly China. The
oil will be produced from a coconut plantation of 10,000 hectares on
the Bondoc Peninsula in Quezon Province. Utimately, the company is
also planning to teach farmers how to intercrop jatropha with coconut
palms to boost overall production of feedstock. D1 will provide the
technology, training and quality standards support for an on-site
biodiesel refinery. The government of the Philippines is to introduce
a 1-2% blend of coconut biodiesel for its own transport industry, so
this kind of production work will ultimately benefit both the
Philippines and Japan. In April this year, Philippine President
Macapagal-Arroyo announced that the development of coconut biodiesel
production would form a major part of government's efforts to reduce
energy costs. The PCA, together with the Department of the
Environment and Natural Resources, are promoting the use of biodiesel
to meet the emissions standards laid down by the Philippine Clean Air
Act of 1999. If the pilot project is successful, the model will be
rolled out to 27 other regions of the Philippines, with plantations
covering a further 25,000 hectares.

"Given clean air rules coming into force in Japan, and the
Philippines, and government tax incentives in other countries, we
expect the biodiesel market in Asia to expand rapidly", says Mark
Quinn, CEO of D1 Oils. "The agricultural sector in developing
countries like the Philippines has the opportunity to meet this
demand by growing biofuel crops on a large scale and producing
biodiesel for export and for their own transport needs".

According to Danilo Coronacion, PCA Administrator, "Our vision is to
make the Philippines the biodiesel production centre for the Asia-
Pacific region. The use of diesel will benefit both coconut farmers
and reduce the Philippines dependence on imported oil."

The concept of using biodiesel may seem a new one, but it is not.
Rudolph Diesel's first engine ran on peanut oil and now, a century
later, it seems we are finally learning that natural oils are better
for our health, our environment and ultimately our economy than
fossil alternatives. The planting of trees in the developing world
can not only provide millions of man hours of jobs, it can also help
reclaim marginal and waste land, reduce poverty, provide "carbon
sinks" that soak up green house gases and assist the world's poorest
agricultural sectors. Non-food energy crops in the developing world
can be grown economically because of the hotter, drier climate, are
not subject to EU tariffs and could feed EU's need for biodiesel and
the developing world's need for cleaner transport fuel. With a view
to continuing D1's march towards a cleaner future, D1 Oils is
planning a stock market floatation in London this autumn to expand
its current operations. If acorns can produce huge oak trees then
there seems little reason why jatropha seeds can't help produce the
energy revolution the world so desperately needs.

Candida is an environmental writer and consultant. She is former
editor of Environmental Business News Briefing and a former
journalist at Financial Times Energy.
END

Ron B.
I always liked the name Newcastle. Never been there, though.
8~)