If you have not yet mounted the immersion heater, then why not just
mount it low enough right from the start? (heat rises)Only thing to
watch out for there is not to mount it so low that it will burn the
bottom of your poly tank, then a better solution would be to get a
metal one (about the same size if space is a factor) and then have
someone competent (you?) weld a flange into the side and then simply
screw in your heater into it. This later is what I have done for my
pre-heat tank and it works very well. I also have a spout at the
very bottom for draining.
Converting this pre-heat tank to a small batch processor is also do-
able by locating a suitable top for it and making the required holes
for the drill/paint stirrer and the thermometer. A riskier way to do
it (due to the methanol) is to do it in an open can although that
should never be undertaken indoors as the fumes are dangerous and
could cause serious harm, but it will do as little as 20 liters (I
have done it). You then can wash in the same tank using the paint
stirrer as a "pump" after you have drained off the glycerine.
I did the small batch as a learning curve thing and was happy that I
did, although for the time involved I won't be doing that again,
opting rather for full batches in the large processor and then
washing via pump in a "Standpipe" tank;
http://www.veggieavenger.com/avengerboard/viewtopic.php?t=333) The
hose coming out of the "water" side gets attached to the pump and
the return is either a hose clamped to the side of the tank or
flanged through the side of it. The other "exit" from
the "standpipe" is for BD only after it's final wash and can also be
hooked up to a drill-pump to fascilitate draining. Thr drill-pumps I
have work well with processed BD once the glycerine is removed.

L.

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> What does one need to watch out for when trying a small batch in a
large processor?

> The things that i can think of are:
> 1. The resistance, heater should never get in contact with air, or
it will over heat, explosion.
> One has to calculate the volume in the pump and hoses aswell.
>
> 2. The pump has to have liquid up to its entry, or it will not
work because it cant suck air.

> The resistance is a washing machine resistance, and the pump is
also a 60w washing machine pump.

> The processor is a 110 l plastic drum.
>
> I havent built the processor yet. I have just gathered all the
parts.

> I have 2 heaters, maby i could mount one lower for smaller batches
and the other at the normal level for full capacity.