Well, Greg, to be honest, I shot from the hip.

I did a search on Google, using <sulfur platinum catalyst>  There are
abundant articles on the poisoning of platinum catalysts by sulfur.  However,
sulfur
dioxide, with oxygen present (the expected situation in diesel exhaust), does
not harm platinum and in fact platinum is the catalyst used in sulfuric acid
manufacture.  Sulfur dioxide is converted to sulfur trioxide in engine exhaust
in this case.

In a reducing atmosphere, below about 200 degrees C, platinum forms a
compound with sulfur, PtS2.  (Handbook of Chemistry and Physics)  You can
expect that
repeated exposure of a platinum-coated material to this condition will result
in removal of the platinum coating.

I noticed that one researcher states a small amount of sulfur is needed for a
platinum-based catalyst /trap that removes soot from diesel exhaust.

I hope I have redeemed myself from the careless remark.

Ernie Rogers