Hi, Balaji,

You had some great questions, and numbers on energy to move people.  Okay, so
I have a habit, but maybe I could sip a little home brew now and then?  My VW
Beetle can use home brew (biodiesel), and I am getting 60 miles per gallon on
petrodiesel.  With two people in the car, my energy per passenger mile is--

  1,250 BTU per passenger mile for a VW TDI diesel (two passengers, 60mpg,
150k BTU/gal)

Hey, I outdid the train, and the fuel can be renewable.  Not too bad for
starters.  (The Honda Insight would beat me by a little bit with two
passengers. I
win with three people in the car.)

Ernie Rogers

Balaji said,
>The first step begins with you, the individual petroleum addict. It is
imperative that we >each take stock of our personal dependence, and ask
ourselves
how different our lives >would become if it were not so cheap and readily
available. What owns who? What >percentage of your income is supporting the
habit?
Where can conservation make a >difference? What do you want to pass on to
future generations? What are you personally >willing to do, right now?