  From: pan ruti
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 03:53
  Subject: Re: [biofuel] Re: Extracting alcohol instead of distilling?

  Helo Ken and arcologic

  Alcohol extraction  intead of distillation is  an novel process inovation
which is being studied in a semi comercial scale in Canada   sucessfuly using
simultaneaous fermentation and extraction using som solvent  non toxic that is
being recycled.(octanol)

  In extracion of of alcohol from water using fase diagram , one can  improve
the process using cosolvents (Caster oil ) as well as surface active
agents(Biodeisel) .Thus a  good  biofuel mixture of low cost can be  surely
made possible , but some one from our biofuel group  need to optimze the
process of this new extraction to be practical using this novel approach.

  sd
  Pannirselvam

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  Thanks, Ken,

  For the excellent response.  Your suggested search worked great.  I put
  <gasoline ethanol water "ternary phase diagram"> into Google, got a copy of
the
  diagram at 21 deg. C.

  Here's the question I have thought about--

  The diagram suggests that I can accomodate about 2% to 5% water in ethanol
  and blend it with gasoline without separation at 21 deg. C.  I read a warning
  somewhere that this isn't wise because the water will separate out at low
  temperatures.  Then, I wondered, is THIS a way to make a blend without dry
alcohol,
  to cool the mix and remove the water.  (I understand, it's all in the phase
  diagram, and if it works the wrong way, just all of the alcohol separates out
  too.)

  So, what do you think?   I suppose if I weren't lazy, I would start looking
  for a low-temperature diagram.  /Ernie

  In a message dated 8/22/2004 10:10:52 PM Mountain Standard Time,