Hello Capra

Nice to hear from you at last, welcome!

But please, please PLEASE change the title when you auto-reply to a
message in the Daily Digest. Nobody will read a message titled "Re:
Digest Number 2309", it confuses the threads and fouls up archives
searches forever. Thanks!

Second, no problem with long posts, and yes, indeed it contains no
bile. Which makes a change, thankyou.

But it does contain some misconceptions, especially about Journey to
Forever regarding "competition" and about links.

We're just not interested in competition, it doesn't motivate us at
all and never has. Everything about Journey to Forever is
collaborative and cooperative, we've never tried to "own" a corner of
the "market" - we have no market, we have nothing to defend, and we
simply don't regard other sites or other resources as "competition"
that we have to outflank or outdo or outperform or out-anything.

That has been said here in this tortuous discussion a couple of
times, and also Girl Mark knows it very well, though she keeps
accusing us of competiive motivations anyway.

This following is from this previous message that's been referenced
several times in this "ahem, 'discussion'":

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/37932/

>You say it makes me "well-known for the site"? I could care less. It
>just doesn't work like that. There's a four-year backlog of really
>great project feedback, a large amount of it (every day), quite a
>lot of it sent specifically to me, that hasn't been added to the
>"What people are saying" page because every time I look at it I get
>embarrassed and find something else to do (and get told off for it).
>I'm not exactly a by-line freak.
>
>As for Journey to Forever, we don't promote it at all, we haven't
>for a long time, it promotes itself, it grows by itself, which is
>very nice, but strictly from our own point of view it's gotten right
>away from us, we can hardly keep it maintained, we get far more
>feedback than we can easily handle, we have severe problems with
>time available for what we have to do, and life would be much easier
>for us if it only had 100,000 hits a month instead of half a million
>and climbing. And I've said all that before. As you know.

Along with that: "I've quite often said that, it's incontestable, and
the same goes for the Biofuel list. We don't promote it in any way."

Recently an argument developed among the list administrators in
discussing the future direction of the list, when one of them
insisted that the priority must be a proper marketing campaign and
serious list promotion - we hadn't even clearly identified our
competition, how could we hope to outflank them? After a lot of
arguing, all the other administrators, 12 of them, rejected
everything about this proposal - marketing and promotion was NOT
needed and would probably be counter-productive, and competition was
not a concern. And that's the way it is. The marketing member just
couldn't see it, he accused the others of smugness and complacency,
they'd learn the error of their ways in time, he'd seen it all
before. Well, so have I seen it all before - marketing men very often
can't see such things. I've worked with marketing people (and against
them too!) for 35 years in a variety of ways, I know them well, I
know from marketing, and I know when I don't need it.

So, as far as I'm concerned, me, the Biofuel list and Journey to
Forever, what you say about competition falls completely flat. I'm
just not interested, that's not what's motivating me at all. It's as
I've said it is, very simple, nothing more to it, no hidden agendas.

As far as Mark is concerned, that's for her to say, and perhaps for
others to judge from what's already been posted.

Regarding links, one reason Journey to Forever gets such a high
rating from the search engines is, as you say, that so many other
sites link to it. We do know about links and linking, but it's a very
long time since we sought links - it's a ball that rolls on its own,
just as the website and the list do. Every day we get link requests,
with people saying "I've linked to you so you link to me" and
explaining the mutual benefits - only, nearly always, they're
anything but mutual: a link at a new site that gets a couple of
hundred visits a month is not quite the equivalent of a link at an
established one that gets half a million. Fair's fair, give me $100
and I'll pay you a yen for it? Others say they've linked to us, they
give us the url, and say they don't expect a link in return unless
we'd like to. Okay, that's better - quite often yes, thanks, we would
like to: these people are indeed more likely to be worth it, to have
something of quality and relevance to offer.

So it depends on a lot of things, it's not necessarily always
beneficial, and it's definitely up to the website owner, with NO
obligation.

And, please, copyright ownership and publishing rights are of course
related but they're not the same. There is no copyright ownership
being contended here. Credits and sources and requests for links
should not be confused, and that's been made clear enough, with
sufficient original background material provided to make it stick.

Best wishes

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
KYOTO Pref., Japan