califthat is a natural for cattail, it already has hundreds of acress of cattail growing, and i beliverr the land belongs to the city or countty, that would be inyuo inyo county calif,, much of it seems to be shallow ponds withh roads crisscrosssed throusout,, i thinkkk the state or county would let someone in there for commercial productions to provide source of work for locsals,, it is along side the bigg pine?? river,,,the weathe is suckh that production could be year round,

From: "Peggy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Biofuel] Changing Government Agendasl
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:45:02 -0500

Hello Ron,

Thank you for the informative summary and the links

>  I find it interesting that a number of states such as Minnesota,
>  Iowa, Wisconsin, North & South Dakota, California, Nebraska to
>  name few around the USA have introduced alternative biofuel
>  such as ethanol into not only the government transportation mix
>  but also to the public which may have had something to do with
>  public opinion or was there some other reasons for it.

There is another news source from BBI which headlines each new E85 pump
that opens for the public and that number grows weekly.  Also the new
cars for 2005 will feature many ethanol compatible models from economy
models to luxury vehicles and work trucks.

And you are correct; government is a major factor in helping a
multimillion dollar facility become profitable.  However, at the last
International Fuel Ethanol Workshop, the statistics showed that if we
continue to rely on corn as a mainstay for fuel ethanol, we will not
satisfy the fuel additive potential much less change to a primarily
biofuel/ethanol alternative.  And so the government is now pouring
hundreds of thousands of dollars into things like hull-less barley--a
few years back it was sweet potatoes.

The real innovation comes with cellulosic processing.  This is and will
remain the way of the future.  Researchers have been working toward
advanced yeast propagation and now the emphasis is on enzyme variation.

The point is that it is possible to use any and all cellulose-based
biomass as a fuel ethanol feedstock.  RIGHT NOW!  We do not have to
follow the previous expensive processing methods of changing a food
(corn) into ethanol via a beverage quality technology.  The processing
can be altered to produce ethanol faster and less expensively, by
smaller groups, for local fuel use and also produce an excess to network
into sales cooperatives--right where you live--anywhere USA that has
biomass growth potential.  I think I already mentioned that a neighbor
made one gallon of ethanol from five cactus leaf pads.  Do you know that
that means?  It means that land growth potential just doubled.  Our next
fuel ethanol start-up will be wood-chip and waste based.  We plan on
over a million gallons a year.  This is a small, community-based
coalition.  Another facility we are helping in South Texas will only
produce 30,000 gallons a year in the beginning and it will be done less
expensively than the major producers.

When you read that the farmers own the ethanol coops, you must realize
that agribusiness caters to the industrial "farmer" more than the rural
farmer with several hundred acres.  There are crops that can produce
more ethanol per acre with multiple annual harvests, and not require the
expense associated with growing corn.  My associate's research on
cattail rhizomes proved a capacity of over 1000 gallons per acre from
the roots alone.  Now our new processing technology will give an even
higher yield.

Without the sale of the "cake"--wet or dry and other byproducts, the
profits for corn ethanol production would not be good enough to be
competitive.  Also, without the government subsidies, tax breaks, and
other incentives, it could not compete as an alternative fuel.  This
must change.  And it can.  And it will... as soon as small, rural
economic development takes hold and cooperatives process biofuels
through cellulosic breakdown.

When coalitions from grassroots locations form small coops to take care
of their own fuel needs, it will be a start.  It doesn't require a
minimum of four and a half million dollars to start an ethanol
production plant like industry and government want us to believe.  If
you would like to discuss this off list or if you are truly interested
in setting up a coalition in the United States, we can help.  Each
individual site is different.  The concept could also work in foreign
countries, but I'm not familiar with the land ownership, politics, and
restrictions from other places, so I can't speak about other countries.
Have you seen http://www.alcohol4fuel.com/id36.html?  Robert details an
easy way to begin real independence with links to another thousand pages
of information.  Robert is one of our company founders.  There is a
whole lot more in innovation coming very soon--with or without
government assistance.  And I really appreciate government help when it
is available... especially to small emerging community-focused groups.

Thanks for the input.  I enjoyed seeing the web sites you referred to
us.
Best wishes,
Peggy

Hello MH,

Below is a link that shows maize (corn) production in tabular and
graphic
form (both worldwide and by state). The information shows how the states
you mention, are leaders in corn production. I believe Wisconsin is a
more
recent entry in the push for ethanol in comparison to Minnesota, Iowa,
Illinois, and Nebraska. Eastern South Dakota is a major corn production
area and a large plant was recently constructed at Aurora (100 miilion
gallons per year). Railroad trainloads of ethanol are shipped eastward
the Hudson River in the state of New York and then barged downriver to
the
New York City area markets. Nebraska is a leader by using water
irrigation.

There is also a table showing the top Wisconsin County corn producers.

Government involvement has helped this push. For example, Minnesota
allows
tax breaks (incentives, whatever) for farmer invested ethanol plants.
Large corporate investors need not apply. One half of all ethanol
production in the USA is from farmer owned co-ops.

Here's the link:
http://corn.agronomy.wisc.edu/FISC/Corn/Corn.htm

Here is a link showing an inventory of ethanol plants in the USA:
http://www.ethanol.org/productionlist.htm

Here is the home page link that talks about ethanol production. They
mention other crops, but with corn production as an established, mature
crop (machinery, storage facilities, transportation options, etc)...it
was
easy to introduce corn into the cycle:
http://www.ethanol.org/

Ron B.