the wassshed ceramic filter is an analytic tooll not production, it is the siaze and thiacknesss of small coffee filter,,,and made from very samalll ceramic fiber, it does not degrade in almost any sloution so that nothing will contaminateee the filtratee ,, what i said was if he wanted to findddd what the clousdy crystals were,, i suggested to chill some fuel and run it thruuu washed ceramic filter,, so that the cloudy stuff woudl stay in the filter and be esxamined, >What's this washed ceramic filter? The links I read
about making biodiesel don't say anything about
filtering.

Ken

I'm also wondering if they are referring to a distillation process. When
I recently heard about glass doughnuts used in glass columns to collect
hydrogen peroxide, I tried to find a few.  My associate thought that
they may be referring to Raschig Rings and I copied out an ad from a
chemical supply company about the rings as seen below.

Ceramic rings have been mentioned in the past.  However, the ones used
in the peroxide capture column were clear glass.  Since one biofuel
ethanol producer suggests using marbles in the three inch still, I
thought the glass doughnuts could offer more surface area.  Most of the
distillers talk about stainless steel scrubbers.  Cost and effectiveness
are important.  More information is appreciated.

Peggy

PURPOSE AND BENEFITS
AquaVet's Raschig Rings are an efficient biological and coarse
mechanical filtration product for use in closed system aquaculture. They
are particularly appropriate for high flow power filters, with either
open or enclosed filter cartridges, because Raschig Rings easily handle
high water flow rates and resist clogging. The rings break up the water
flow through the filter, preventing "channeling" or bypassing of the
water around the filter materials.

Raschig Rings provide an excellent mechanical filtration, promote
extensive biological filtration, and enhance the effectiveness of
subsequent filter materials.

BIOLOGICAL FILTRATION
Raschig Rings have proven extremely effective in promoting biological
filtration, because they are an exceptionally good base for nitrifying
bacteria. Constructed of a porous ceramic stoneware; Raschig Rings
possesses a positive electronic change, so slight it is generally
unnoticed, which attracts the nitrifying bacteria needed for biological
filtration.

The open ring or "noodle" shape, combined with the porous nature of the
stoneware, provide a tremendous surface area which can support a
population of billions of bacteria in a relatively small filter
compartment area.

MECHANICAL FILTRATION
Raschig Rings are a very effective mechanical filtering material,
especially in coarse screening. Mechanically the filter rings break up
the water flow through the filter forcing the water flow to spread
evenly without channeling or bypassing or clogging the filter materials.
The rings regain and entrap large particles of debris which are worn
down by water turbulence and bacterial action.

SPECIFICATIONS
Raschig Rings are constructed of high-temperature-furnace-fired ceramic
stoneware rings with hollow centers, approximately 9/16" (15 mm) in
diameter and 5/8" (16 mm) in over all length. Each filter ring has a
little over 1 square inch of outer surface area; 1 lb. of Raschig Rings
contains about 300 filter rings, with 300 sq. inches of available outer
surface area. These figures do not consider the microscopic small
surface cavities and porosity of the ceramic material. There are about
10,000 Raschig Rings per cubic foot, with about 10,000 sq. inches of
available outer surface area. The approximate weight per cubic foot of
Raschig Rings is 55 lbs. Packed Raschig Rings have about 65% free space.

STABILITY
Raschig Rings are durable, long lasting, and stable indefinitely. They
require no special handling procedures. Raschig Rings require only a
periodic rinsing to remain effective. Washing and treating with soap,
household cleansers, and cleaning chemicals do not interfere with its
electronic charge.
COMPATIBILITIES
Raschig Rings do not affect, and are not affected by water quality,
medications, or water conditioners. Raschig Rings are nontoxic and
harmless to plants, fishes and invertebrates.

 Subject: Re: FW: Fw: [biofuel] Cloudy Biodiesel ZZ