As of January 1, 2004, the sale or importation of gasoline containing methyl
tertiary-butyl ether (MTBE)
will be banned in New York State. With respect to the ban, the Department has
received inquiries regarding
the taxability of ethanol, the accepted substitute for MTBE, when blended with
gasoline. In general, any
person dealing in ethanol that is considered motor fuel will be subject to all
tax, registration,
transportation, certification, and reporting requirements in effect for motor
fuel. There is no reduction
in the New York State motor fuel, petroleum business, or sales taxes for
ethanol or gasoline blended with
ethanol.

http://www.tax.state.ny.us/PDF/memos/multitax/M03_7m_8s.PDF

http://www.energy.ca.gov/mtbe/ethanol/

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/fuels/mtbe/f00010.htm

You have to love this. Schumer is proud to be an anti-environmentalist, and a
oil companies friend. Certainly he's no friend of the American Farmer.
Fortunately he didn't win:

US Senator Charles E. Schumer has taken on the powerful ethanol lobby in
Washington in an effort to kill a provision in the Senate Energy Bill that
would send New York's gas prices skyrocketing, cut almost $500 million in
highway and mass transit funding for the state, and exempt the makers and
distributors of gasoline additives from lawsuits if their product turns out to
be defective. The provision would require gas refiners throughout the country
to use ethanol in reformulating their gasoline and would extend a number of
liability protections to the makers and distributors of gasoline additives.
"The ethanol tax is an astonishing, anti-consumer requirement that would force
every refiner in the country to use an ever-increasing amount of ethanol or pay
a penalty," Schumer said. "But guess who really gets stuck with paying that
fine ~ you, me, and anyone else who drives and pays for gas."
The mandate was included in the Energy Bill which also bans the use of MTBE, (a
gasoline additive whose use has resulted in serious groundwater pollution all
over the country); revokes the oxygenate requirement that led to the heavy use
of MTBE in the first place; and keeps in place the air pollution standards
mandated by the Clean Air Act. Schumer, Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton, Dianne
Feinstein, and Barbara Boxer have introduced an amendment that would strip the
ethanol mandate from the overall bill as well as a number of other amendments
that would mitigate the impact of the ethanol tax on the State. The amendments
would leave the bill's clean air requirements intact.
http://schumer.senate.gov/SchumerWebsite/pressroom/press_releases/PR00926.html

Under federal law, New York's high levels of air pollution make it one of ten
states nationwide that must include an oxygenate, either the additive ethanol
or MTBE in its gasoline to help it burn more cleanly. Schumer has long
predicted that the requirement would drive New York gas prices up dramatically
by now, because the state has a ban on MTBE and because ethanol is very costly
to transport into the region and presents possible supply challenges in meeting
demand for summer fuel blends.
http://schumer.senate.gov/SchumerWebsite/pressroom/press_releases/PR02553.gas040404.pf.html