Bush's Hometown Newspaper Endorses Kerry
 Sep 28, 2004
 http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=politicsNews&storyID=6356211
    CRAWFORD, Texas (Reuters) - The newspaper in President Bush's adopted
 hometown of Crawford threw its support on Tuesday behind Bush's Democratic
 rival, Sen. John Kerry.  [more]

 Crawford, Texas
 Home of George W. Bush
 The Lone Star Iconoclast Editorial
 Opinion of the Publishers

 Kerry Will Restore American Dignity
 2004 Iconoclast Presidential Endorsement
 http://news.iconoclast-texas.com/web/Columns/Editorial/editorial39.htm

   Few Americans would have voted for George W. Bush four years ago
 if he had promised that, as President, he would:

 ð Empty the Social Security trust fund by $507 billion to
     help offset fiscal irresponsibility and at the same
     time slash Social Security benefits.
 ð Cut Medicare by 17 percent and reduce veterans
     benefits and military pay.
 ð Eliminate overtime pay for millions of Americans and
     raise oil prices by 50 percent.
 ð Give tax cuts to businesses that sent American jobs overseas,
     and, in fact, by policy encourage their departure.
 ð Give away billions of tax dollars in government contracts
     without competitive bids.
 ð Involve this country in a deadly and highly questionable war, and
 ð Take a budget surplus and turn it into the worst deficit
     in the history of the United States, creating a debt in
     just four years that will take generations to repay.

   These were elements of a hidden agenda that surfaced only
 after he took office.
   The publishers of The Iconoclast endorsed Bush four years ago,
 based on the things he promised, not on this smoke-screened agenda.
   Today, we are endorsing his opponent, John Kerry, based not
 only on the things that Bush has delivered, but also on the
 vision of a return to normality that Kerry says our country needs.
   Four items trouble us the most about the Bush administration:
 his initiatives to disable the Social Security system,
 the deteriorating state of the American economy,
 a dangerous shift away from the basic freedoms established by
 our founding fathers, and his continuous mistakes regarding
 terrorism and Iraq.    [more]