No, a VAT tax is a "value-added tax", like a sales tax except that each
business pays it on the value they add (sales minus purchases) so that
there is no incentive for vertical intergration, and economic efficiency
from specialization is maintained. The tax is also applied to imports.

In Canada our "GST" (goods and services tax) works the same way.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada