--- Erik Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- "Johnston, Don" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > 124k miles on original exhaust seems exceptional to
> > me,
>
> really?? is this also the experience of other people?
> i have quite a few cars here that have 100-200k on
> gasoline engines with the original exhaust and it's in
> good condition. and there's one with a rusted out
> muffler that has about 170k on it.

in the UK climate, 123k miles would be exceptional. How long exhausts
last depends on a lot of factors, including how you drive your vehicle
and the prevailing climate. If you do lots of short journeys in winter,
your exhaust will not last more than 3 or 4 years, which could easily
be less than 20,000 miles. This is because combustion creates water
vapour, which will condense in cold conditions once you switch off your
engine. Longer journeys simply mean you do more miles between each
'condensation period', and warmer climates mean that condensation is
less likely.

> and the diesels range from 150-300k + with no problems
> yet. i suspect that diesel fuel doesn't have the same
> problems that gas engines experience, but i don't
> really know.

I do not know if there is a difference between petrol and diesel
engines on exhaust lifetime, but I suspect on diesels they would last
longer because they are 'lean-burn' engines - which in turn means a
lower concentration of water vapour, hence less likely to form
condensation. But I could be wrong on this point.

> all numbers are in US miles.

What exactly is a US mile???

Donald

=====
--
43 - slightly more than the answer to life, the universe and everything.