Hakan,
   You make some very valid points. It would be useful to see these
prices rebased in Euros. I'm not sure what proportion of the list's
readers are based in areas more closely allied to the Euro than to the
US dollar, but I suspect it's quite a high proportion. For me the US
dollar is a fairly meaningless measure, because it has changed so
dramatically against my local currency (GB pounds). While we don't use
Euros, they are much more stable relative to the pound than the US
dollar.

Another effect of US taxation policy on fuel is that the current high
crude prices have a proportionally large effect on pump prices there.
However here in the UK prices are significantly less than 10% higher
than a couple of months ago - in other words, the current high prices
have only a very small effect on people's perceptions, and hence a very
small economic impact. I suspect the economic impact in the US will be
a lot higher, another reflection of a much higher dependency on this
one, limited resource.

Donald

http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/statistics/us_gas+oilprices_1918-1999.html

=====
--
43 - slightly more than the answer to life, the universe and everything.