Hello Todd, Tilly and All ;

Thanks for your responses.

--- tillyfromparadise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

At 55deg c the  reaction takes about
60 minutes to complete.

This leads me to my next question.  I believe the
reason we all use 55 degrees is because of the low
boiling point of methanol.  I spoke to a PhD in
chemical engineering who indicated he had designed a
quick and no wash process.  He was clearly not going
to give me any details on the process.  He slipped up
and said it was done at elevated pressure.

So I would like to ask the list, is is possible to cut
the process time and possible not use catalyst by
elevated pressure?  How much pressure would be needed?
 Is the wash only to remove catalyst?  Could a no wash
process be possible if you didn't need catalyst?

For a large producer of biodiesel who is not connected
to the sewer, the wash represents a big problem in
water usage, recycling, and disposal.  A no wash
process which doesn't need catalyst could easily
justify the added expense of pressure vessels,
particularly if you could buy them used.

Best Regards,

Peter G.
Thailand

Google supercritical methanol, biodiesel. Think about pressures of 300 atm. Temperatures will be above the autoignition temperature of methanol. But it does work, and no wash or catalyst is needed.

Dale Scroggins