Kirk,

I have experiences from some friend who have a couple of larger turbines installed in Sweden. When I researched small wind for my energy source information on http://energysavingnow.com , I knew that Europe is leading on large wind and US have the largest number of choices and installations of small wind. Looking at small wind, I was confronted with the fact that most of them, if not all, are installed in sites where it was suitable to install larger turbines. Participating and have discussions with suppliers and users of the awea wind list, it became obvious that it is very few wind turbines that are suitable for sites that not at the same time are suitable for large turbines. My feeling was confirmed by the experts and list participants. There are few or none small wind turbine that are suitable in urban or sub urban environment, where large turbines cannot be installed.

I think it is a waste, to install a wind turbine of 0.5 to 10 kW on a site where you equally well could install one or more 1 to 3 MW wind turbine. This assuming that the turbines could be grid connected. My friend in Sweden got subsidies 20 years ago for their grid connected large turbines and have earned money at the same time as they got their own electricity covered. This has been proven to be beneficial for both them and the society.

I cannot see any real value for developed countries, with a good grid distribution, to encourage small wind. For countries with poor or no grid distribution, it is an other case. Without urban or sub urban small wind applications, small wind remains a solution for isolated rural places without grid connection and will not play any part in the larger picture of energy solutions we need for the future.

Hakan