on 11/18/04 7:15 AM, Darryl McMahon at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have finished reading Powerdown (Options and Actions for a
> Post-Carbon World) by Richard Heinberg.

> Recommended.

Indeed. A sobering book, like his previous one
(The Party's Over).

> I would have liked to have seen more coverage of viable solutions.

As you know, his position is that there AREN'T any, if by
"solution" you mean a way to avoid severe social and economic
discontinuity in the near future by gracefully transitioning
from petroleum to something else.

> Heinberg also raises the de-population issue to an extent I have
> not seen since Ehrlich.

I was intrigued by his discussion of the "hands off" attitude of
many progressives when it comes to the issue of overpopulation.
The whole idea that there is a fundamental and under-recognized
tension between the social movements (individual right to procreate
or not, with no govt. interference), and the ecology movements
(obvious difficulties becoming sustainable with 11+ billion humans
on board). Quite a pickle we're in, and he describes it chillingly.

-K