John,

Good points. I looked at the list of Commissioners and
it is there where you can find part of the story. Most
of the Comissioners are policy makers not industry
veterans.  For example, I don't see any real biofuel
refiners or refining background.  There is a guy from
ConocoPhillips but that company is a "minor" compared
to the majors.

Also, methinks the reason for little wording on
hydrogen fuel is that most of the hydrogen fuel will
be coming from the process of cracking and byproduct
of natural gas resulting from traditional petroleum
refining.

Little discussion is paid to the all important
"distribution" of the new renewable products.  More
importantly, I don't see any big incentives for the
"distribution" portion of the business.  For exampole,
Indepedent owner-operators of C-Stores and Gas
Stations are already looking at solar, biofuels,
energy efficiency and getting away from traditional
petroleums.  The problem is that these family owned
independents operate on a thin profit margins with an
average of 10-20 C-Store Gas Stations. The
cost-benefit of switching to a new renewable fuel is
easy to say by the Commisisoners but in practice a
much more difficult proposition.

I would advocate for more incentives pointed at the
marketing and distribution of new renewables and
technologies - this is called the "downstream"
activity. I would also advocate for incentives for
people such as the biofuel industry and refining or
"upstream" activities.

In many ways this is already being done with
traditional petroleum in the U.S.  Did you know that
at least 40% of the cost of a gallon of passenger
gasoline is a State and Federal Tax?  And did you know
that most of those taxes are NOT earmarked for
renewables, such as biodiesel, smart growth,
alternative transportation?

As my buddy Paul Stevens at Hewlett-Packard said, "The
poop is always in the detail, and that is where you
find the cause of the poop."

My three cents worth.

http://www.energycommission.org/ewebeditpro/items/O82F4682.pdf