From: Appal Energy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 9:01 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] cold climate biodiesel production

Mike,

That's as normal as the sun rising in the east.

Expect to start having gel/solidification problems at around 40*F with WVO
esters. The problem isn't that the oil is used, but that animal fats are
generally present in WVO. Also, much WVO is partially hydrogenated (looks
like veg shortening prior to its first use). This imparts some of the same
properties as animal fats, as the carbon chains are more saturated.

You might be able to push the useable temp for B-100 from WVO a few degrees
lower than 40*F as long as that temp is a fleeting overnight low, not a
steady state.

Nasty business trying to get a diesel to start when it's got solidified
"crisco" in its veins. Can sure wreck your plans for several hours,
presuming you've got a tent or a garage you can roll your disabled car into.
Longer if you don't.

Todd Swearingen