Thank you Aleks for your explanation,

I might add a couple of additional comments.  Many current practices are
combining enzymes or adding different enzymes at different stages of a
process.  Several tried-and-true cultures have become industry standards
and this applies to the small brewer/ distiller as well as large
commercial operations.  When reviewing available cultures by certified
laboratories, it is possible to look for specific or desired function
before experimenting, if a person wants to set up his/ her own
laboratory.  Genetic modifications have invaded some of the new patented
cultures and this makes those cultures more expensive and under patent
protection.

However, you cannot patent nature.  And therefore, by experimenting with
natural cultures, it is possible to forward certain natural strains of
enzyme producing microbes that a person can offer to others who are
interested in new processing enhancements.  This may be called biotech,
yet it is also trial-and-error and sweat-of-the-brow work.  At BioFuels
Energy Corp., we include a microbiological lab with our enhanced
processing systems (stills) and teach technicians how to use this lab
during their training session.  It takes a bit of time and effort to run
the lab plus duplicating the appropriate conditions for propagation.
However, it can also save money for small distillers and brewers.  When
I toured several large fuel ethanol plants in Wisconsin, we found that
this industry purchases huge quantities of ready-made enzymes.  The
problem is that the manufacturers of the enzymes rarely offer small
quantities.  Our company (BEC) considered purchasing a large batch and
distributing it in smaller batches, but there is too much risk involved
with storage since we cannot predict how many "customers" would even be
interested.  That is why we decided to change over to teaching how to
make cultures.  One Petri dish can produce a multitude of cultures.
Thankfully, we have access to two FDA approved microbiological
laboratories that offer sterile conditions to maintain and reproduce our
cultures.  This scrutiny may not be as important in a personal or small
industry space because the products should be used on a continuing basis
thereby keeping the strain actively reproduced and working.
Furthermore, because we will continue to "test" new natural microbes and
verify their abilities, we will be able to offer new products (or a
combination of products) as time goes by.  One reason for having a
variety of enzymes available is that we anticipate working with a large
variety of feedstock.  Because we make fuel ethanol and not a beverage,
our feedstock choices are many (any thing that grows or ever
grew--cellulosic-based matter).  And therefore, the "best" enzyme for
one feedstock may be different from another... such as wood chips may
breakdown faster with a specific enzyme than a grain crop or visa-versa.
I hope that this expanded note helps you and others better understand
this little part of the processing plan.

Best wishes,
Peggy

Peggy G Korth
BioFuels Energy Corporation
(830) 885-7409 Voice
(830) 885-7416 Fax
(210) 288-0999 Cell
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Email

Subject: Re: patents,biotech and cellulosic ethanol was RE: [Biofuel]
ethanol from wood

<As it has been explained to me, it is a matter of getting the enzymes
cheap enough to make it cost effective--one cannot make the enzymes
themselves, they are a product of biotech. Am I mistaken? What are the
enzymes and where do they come from?>

<snip>
Enzymes are a product of nature, i.e. microorganisms, such as bacteria
fungi, plants, human and animal internal organs, et al. Enzymes are
rather

large molecules of proteinic origin, capable of doing a simple task,
given the right conditions (temperature, pH).
They can splice complex carbohydrates to simpler (mashing, for example)
sugars that yeast can digest to make alcohol, for instance.
Mankind has been utilizing these little friends in alcohol beverage
making, cheesemaking, meat conservation, leather, breads, honey for
ages...
Fungi are one example of enzymatic cellulosic material breakdown to make

simpler carbohydrates for food.

Biotech came into the game later, to simplify and make cheaper and
faster
nature's processess. Try the difference between a small brewery pub beer
and industrial beer. Biotech made it possible, for example to simplify
beer fermentation and shorten lagering, and all the complex nuances of
the beer's taste are gone. But biotech research is expensive and all the
richness of beer can still be tasted in small brewpubs.
Sorry, if I talk a lot of beer, but I'm a homebrewer and use malt's
own enzymes a lot, and nothing in my brew is biotech. For now, at least
untill GMO barley creeps into Europe.