Hello all,
I have been trying to figure out how to make/assemble
some evacuated vacuum solar tubes,and was hoping to
find a few answers.I work with pyrex and do some
scientific glassblowing. I know that using a vacuum
pump is the way to evacuate the space between the two
tubes,but am trying to get around using the vacuum
set-up mainly for financial reasons-and I am just
experimenting right now.My main question that I hope
someone can help me with is : Can a relatively low
pressure vacuum be used, and work well overall for
thermal insulation? I assume it would be better than
having no vacuum. First, I hope this description is
not too confusing! --The type of vacuum would be
achieved by heating the two glass tubes (they have
been put together,with a small hole left that would
normally be used to evacuate the tube; to keep the
pressure equalized) up to around 1000*F, and then
closing the small hole that would seal in the vacuum
between the two tubes, while hot. I have noticed when
doing things similar to this,the sealing up of this
hole will get sucked in if the glass temperature is
dropping; hence  there is some sort of vacuum that is
created, from the space being very hot when sealed. I
am curious how relevant this vacuum would be for
thermal insulation.
By the way, Peter G. and Phillip Wolfe, thank you for
responding to my inquiries about a month ago on green
jobs in RE,so far they have been a guiding light for
me. :-)  Thanks for any insight or links to help me
figure out this vacuum question,and I hope it wasn't
confusing the way that I explained it. -Chris Davidson