Yes, there were tropical conditions in Montana at one
time. Coal deposits in Antarctica. Since plants also
suffer from high temps it is interesting to
contemplate what the equator was like. I suggest the
thermal pump was far more energetic (equator to pole
air flow)
Your comment re buffering is quite apt IMO.

-Kirk