inform not embarrass. I really hesitated about clicking on send.  This is
way I don't care for the prohibition of emailing other list members
off-list, there are times it is warranted.
Doug

It's not a prohibition Doug. People do it all the time, no problem, well and good. Have another look:

"Don't call for an offlist response unless you have a special reason. If it's discussed on-list, everybody can share in the discussion, more people will contribute, you'll end up with much better answers, and it will all be in the archives for future seekers to find there."

What this is directed at is people who ask a question on a subject of general interest to the list and ask for offlist responses, so a potentially valuable discussion is lost to the rest of us, probably the discussion is poorer for it too, and nothing gets into the archives for future seekers to find.

Something else that's frowned on is what a few people have done here before - they see something that upsets them ("off topic political crap", LOL!) and send nasty offlist messages to everyone concerned.

But in general, no prohibition. The great majority of people here are sensible and know how to behave, they can be trusted to judge when something should be onlist and when an offlist comment is pertinent. I have the impression that quite a number of offlist friendships have sprung up between list members over the years, starting just that way. I surely wouldn't prohibit it!

In this case, I'd've been surprised if Mike had been offended, and on the other hand, if it's not genuine it's probably best that everyone who saw it knows that, but also I take your point, I wouldn't have argued against whichever decision you'd reached, your prerogative.

Best wishes

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
KYOTO Pref., Japan